Does "prestige" of podiatry school matter when applying to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imvsderm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If location does not make a difference to me, is there a list of the rankings of the podiatry schools like there is for medical school? I realize there are only 9, but are there any that are considered the “top” tier? I heard for medical school, the prestige of the medical schools makes a huge impact inmatching.

Members don't see this ad.

If location does not make a difference to me, is there a list of the rankings of the podiatry schools like there is for medical school? I realize there are only 9, but are there any that are considered the “top” tier? I heard for medical school, the prestige of the medical schools makes a huge impact inmatching.
If location doesn't matter to you then go to the one that you will end up with the least amount of debt from.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Fun story - the word "prestige" originates from Latin/French words for like illusion, glamor, conjuring, and trick. I learned that from the Netflix college scandal pseudo-documentary.

Reactions: 8 users
A 3.0 at a "prestigious" Pod school will not open doors that a 3.5 at an "average" or "sub-par" pod school will.
The terms in quotations are wildly subjective and will vary based on program directors experience with individuals and geographic location.
If there was a perfect Podiatry school, everyone would simply go to that school.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone knows Kent is the Yale/Johns Hopkins of podiatry schools. This is why program directors all across the country will do anything to get Kent students.

Independent fact-checkers determined this statement may not be entirely true.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
When PDs see Kent students with that 1000 yard stare from crawling over the bodies of so many of their classmates to make it out they know this is a survivor who will do whatever it takes.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
There are no prestigious podiatry schools. Just stupid data the DPMs on staff create to justify their jobs as podiatrists who do nothing but teach outdated biomechanics that nobody uses (cough Scholl) and other courses they are not trained to teach.

If I could do it all over again I would have gone to podiatry school where you take almost 100% of the courses with the DO students. Western, AZPOD and DMU are really solid in the academics department.

Remember when temple admissions department used to claim (*they still may) that they were the harvard of podiatry schools?

Haha

Remember when temple admissions department used to claim (*they still may) that they were the harvard of podiatry schools?

Haha
I interviewed at Temple. Someone during my interview, not me, asked them for their board pass rates. The admissions lady gave them the ugliest scowl and then ultimately said she thought she could find it somewhere. She then proceeded to give us the sheet of paper that had been photocopied probably a thousand times and was totally illegible but seemed to suggest a number of like 83% or something like that. The CPME outcomes was terribly implemented at first but I still think about the above whenever my nurses try to photocopy patient instructions that I have the original word files of...

They (Temple) asked me if I liked the dorms when I was there. I told them they were fine but I was married. They told me my wife could live in the dorm with me but we'd have to pay double. So like more than $2k. Haha. Brought my wife to Des Moines to look for housing. She went straight to Star bar, had 2 beers ("it's my vacation"), and then told me that she would not live in any dorm across the street from the school. Fun memories.

Prestigious podiatry school.....isn’t that an oxymoron? The most prestigious podiatry school would be analogous to being proud of being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
A 3.0 at a "prestigious" Pod school will not open doors that a 3.5 at an "average" or "sub-par" pod school will.
The terms in quotations are wildly subjective and will vary based on program directors experience with individuals and geographic location.
If there was a perfect Podiatry school, everyone would simply go to that school.
Yeah... I would agree here.

The bottom line is to be well prepared for clerkships. All of the schools teach anatomy, pharmacology, etc. By that clerkships time, you are reading journal articles and texts. The JFAS and FAI journals or the McGlamry and Myerson books are obviously the same at any school.

Back when I was more involved with students (clerks and core ppls visiting the place I was doing residency), it was pretty clear year after year that DMU and Western were a leg up on the other schools... vast majority of their students were prepared and well read (but those schools also had the lowest class sizes each year). A couple schools were also clearly lagging behind with many of their students being a step or two behind their peers (also, probably not coincidentally, the schools with 100+ class sizes). There were amazing students from every school, though. Every school had its few duds also. We would never exclude anyone with a decent rank/gpa simply based on schools. Pod school might have *at best* been a tiebreak for popular clerk months (ie, school X and school Y student are both middle of class and wanted August... pick school that has produced better clerks on avg). There are no always/never rules, as was said. The schools just give the basics: basic science, student clinics, clinical guidance, etc. The reading, work ethic, and teamwork is up to the individuals.

Now, I'm more at the hospital/group level, and school doesn't matter at all... residency/boards is much more telling. Still, you might have the occasional goofball from Inova or the occasional rock star from VA-Seattle or something. Again, there are exceptions to every rule.

...So yeah, I'd agree to go wherever you can minimize debt: lowest tuition + living cost... minus scholarship(s) and other income (TA, asst prof, etc job). All of the schools give adequate foundations. Some are better on basic science, some have busier clinics, some might have better potential mentor DPMs... but you're going to have to make up for some gaps regardless. It's just like residencies: some have more elective, some more trauma, some more academics, some have great mentors... none are perfect and you are always going to have to put in the work yourself to maximize results. Residency is well worth going wherever you need to get good training, though... cost of living or residency salary should not be a factor at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users