Does prestige of the institution hosting my summer research internship affect med school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kesher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for 13 research internships and only have gotten into two programs so far :(. Based on the recent stream of rejection emails flooding my inbox, I don't think that I will have any more acceptances. The programs I was accepted into are at less prestigious/well-known/lower-ranked/etc. institutions. Would being involved in a less prestigious SURP look just as good as being involved in a prestigious one (think NIH or Harvard)? I know that the principal reason why universities have SURPs is to interest undergrads in their graduate school, but I'm not sure if medical schools value each SURP differently.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. No, where you do a summer of research is not going to make or break your application to any med school. What matters far more is evidence you are productive with it (posters typically, pubs occasionally).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my underlying worry is that being denied right and left by all these SURPs foreshadows my med school admissions process...

I guess my underlying worry is that being denied right and left by all these SURPs foreshadows my med school admissions process...
You got in to two, right? Well, that's twice as many as you needed to pursue some research experience and build your application this summer. Everyone faces rejections. Rejections from colleges, from summer programs, from jobs, and certainly from many med schools even in a very successful cycle. Try to keep a reasonable perspective - you're doing fine.

They overlap slightly but are for the most part, different applications. Don't worry OP. Also, get used to rejections…they only increase as you climb in life.

Stopped reading at this.

because....

You got in to two, right? Well, that's twice as many as you needed to pursue some research experience and build your application this summer. Everyone faces rejections. Rejections from colleges, from summer programs, from jobs, and certainly from many med schools even in a very successful cycle. Try to keep a reasonable perspective - you're doing fine.