Does process of elimination show where I matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meuri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... if my #2 program went unfilled, and my #2 had called me to say they ranked me very highly... that means I matched to either #1 or #2, right?

oh boy oh boy.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation.

kinda like getting a peek at a present.

Congrats!

Does that mean chillin' by the bay UCSF style for you guys??

Either way, any way.. must be a great feeling.

Originally posted by Meuri
So... if my #2 program went unfilled, and my #2 had called me to say they ranked me very highly... that means I matched to either #1 or #2, right?

oh boy oh boy.

...Your #2 choice wouldn't tell you that you were a high pick unless you really were, right?.... Riiiiiggght.... Residency directors would never tell applicants something like that just to get them to rank the program higher.

Plexus,

its pretty simple really

if the PD is trying to get you to rank prog higher then
AT LEAST you are a back-up from the prog's perspective

ie you are NOT an unacceptable candidate

the program in this post is #2 and not filled
thus
NO MATTER WHERE the program ranked this person
they will end up there or better (higher on list)

The ONLY exception is if the program omitted the applicant completely -- VERY unlikely -- PDs have better things to do with their time than call applicants(that they wont even rank) simply to blue ball them

so

your post is meaningless

quit trying to rain on people's parades

Hmmm... I don't think Celiac Plexus was trying to rain on anyone's parade... but rather, he was implying that Meuri should not get his hopes up about anything, since the fact is, programs (and applicants) have been known to be less-than-totally-honest about such things in the past.

I'm actually facing a similar situation in that the program I ranked #3 didn't fill either, but I'm resisting the temptation to try and analytically dissect this occurence... it's out of our hands now... worrying and trying to make predictions will accomplish little at this point. Good luck to everyone tomorrow :).

hate to disagree with you cuts but

however

i read 'ranked' as past tense (as opposed to will rank)

thus

this situation is similar to my own -- a call AFTER ranking was done

now

not for one min can I imagine the PD of a program just calling people to mess with them.

but

lets assume that the did do this sort of stuff

then

what i ask is the value in raining on our incorrect yet preordained fantasy parades?

I am still searching for a point to his post.

You think it something other that the synicism of a jaded plexus.

What is the point?

Good luck to you Cuts

Originally posted by iamubiquitous
hate to disagree with you cuts but

however

i read 'ranked' as past tense (as opposed to will rank)

thus

this situation is similar to my own -- a call AFTER ranking was done

now

not for one min can I imagine the PD of a program just calling people to mess with them.

but

lets assume that the did do this sort of stuff

then

what i ask is the value in raining on our incorrect yet preordained fantasy parades?

I am still searching for a point to his post.

You think it something other that the synicism of a jaded plexus.

What is the point?

Good luck to you Cuts

Wow dude... You sound pretty wound up. Open a beer, watch some CNN, and relax already. lmao.

First, why would a PD call someone after the ROL deadline? Perhaps they just had some free time, and wanted to chat with an applicant. It's possible I guess. But it makes no sense from a ranking standpoint. If the ROL is set then lobbying an applicant is pointless.

Second, a guy who matched in ortho last year from my school was told point blank by a PD that he was #1 on their list. And he ranked them #1. He matched at his 5th choice. So, PDs do lie. Accept it. It happens.

You say my post is meaningless. Well, I say trying to predict where you're gonna match based on some unfilled programs is "meaningless". Or I should say pointless cos we'll all know tomorrow anyway.

Cuts, thanks for the back-up. Too bad there are a lot of uptight wackos lurking here... lmao. Good luck for tomorrow! I hope you get RADS BABY!!!!!!

Ubiquitous,

Did the PD that called you do it after "he had already ranked" or after the ROL deadline? B/c I think there's a subtle difference there. In the former case, I could see the logic in a PD making a preliminary rank list, and then calling say--his top 10--to tell them that they've been ranked high. His purpose would be two-fold: 1) to encourage the applicants to rank his program higher and 2) to try and assess the applicants' interest himself over the phone. Then, depending on his gut feelings about #2, I could see him changing his list accordingly. It's too bad PDs and applicants play these Jedi mind games b/c it really subverts the basic principle of the match alogorithm. If he indeed called you after the ROL deadline, I would say he is the nicest most thoughtful PD on the planet ;).

Thanks for the well wishes man... good luck to you to :).

I will get a beer -- wound up? no
but I am a little annoyed that you would visit a happily anticipatory thread simply to be negative.

So i was reading your most recent post thinking
right on this is exactly what i wanted to hear from you.

I wanted to hear how it is that you thought your first post was going to add anything to the thread.

Then i got to the end -- wacko?
I think this type of stuff (bickering posts) is theraputic
during periods of stress (though I wish you had attacked elsewhere) so I usually just play along -- but to result to name calling?? Not necessary. Is it?
I am not sure that you see it as play.

I dont know what happened to the other guy (thread starter)
but I was contacted after the progs list was submitted but it was not after the ROL deadline.

Sadly, you have yet to give the point of your post.

Was it to educate us about the dishonesty of man?
Of PDs?
Was it to show us how to project sarcasm via text?
Was it an expression of anger about something that happened to you?

or

Did you just want to shove your two cents down a happy person's throat?

None of these objectives are/were useful or appropriate here.

Just what were you trying to add?

Why wont you reply to that?

ps -- dont take this stuff so seriously. ok?
ps2 -- what does Imao mean

Cuts,

I started writing the post above before seeing your most recent.
So my answering your question was coincidence.
I agree with you completely on those points.

Jedi Mind Games -- that hits the nail on the head

C

just over 16 hours

good luck to all!

Originally posted by iamubiquitous
I will get a beer -- wound up? no
but I am a little annoyed that you would visit a happily anticipatory thread simply to be negative.

So i was reading your most recent post thinking
right on this is exactly what i wanted to hear from you.

I wanted to hear how it is that you thought your first post was going to add anything to the thread.

Then i got to the end -- wacko?
I think this type of stuff (bickering posts) is theraputic
during periods of stress (though I wish you had attacked elsewhere) so I usually just play along -- but to result to name calling?? Not necessary. Is it?
I am not sure that you see it as play.

I dont know what happened to the other guy (thread starter)
but I was contacted after the progs list was submitted but it was not after the ROL deadline.

Sadly, you have yet to give the point of your post.

Was it to educate us about the dishonesty of man?
Of PDs?
Was it to show us how to project sarcasm via text?
Was it an expression of anger about something that happened to you?

or

Did you just want to shove your two cents down a happy person's throat?

None of these objectives are/were useful or appropriate here.

Just what were you trying to add?

Why wont you reply to that?

ps -- dont take this stuff so seriously. ok?
ps2 -- what does Imao mean

Dude, there is now a war on. That should keep you occupied for a while. The beer will help too. lmao.

and im feeln quite warm

thanks for the advice

I think that in the long run this war will be viewed as a good thing.

13 hours

c'mon newbie!!!:laugh:

it's so nice to be employed. what a feeling:)