MA/MS Does psychotherapy cure mental illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or does it just help the person to cope and overcome barriers of their illness to function as best as they can in life?

Members don't see this ad.

Or does it just help the person to cope and overcome barriers of their illness to function as best as they can in life?
Does the practice of medicine cure physical illness? Same answer, it depends. Sometimes we promote healing, sometimes alleviate suffering during the healing process, sometimes we help patient cope with more permanent dysfunction as you were alluding to in your post. Also, preventing problems from either starting at all or nipping them in the bud with both individuals and the community is part of what both social workers and psychologists do with social workers tending to focus more on community and psychologists more on individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mental Illness is approached in two ways in the US:

- Behavioral Therapy

- Chemical Therapy

I'm not sure if all illnesses can be completely cured, but these two approaches (usually used together for extreme cases or in mild cases only behavioral therapy is required). When a chemical imbalance is involved, chemical therapy is utilized through the many options available today. Behavioral therapy in general mainly addresses certain stressors and the coping methods available to alleviate these stressors.

This is all from a personal perspective of myself (I have a mental illness), but I much prefer seeing Psychiatrists than Psychotherapists.

Mental Illness is approached in two ways in the US:

- Behavioral Therapy

- Chemical Therapy

I'm not sure if all illnesses can be completely cured, but these two approaches (usually used together for extreme cases or in mild cases only behavioral therapy is required). When a chemical imbalance is involved, chemical therapy is utilized through the many options available today. Behavioral therapy in general mainly addresses certain stressors and the coping methods available to alleviate these stressors.

This is all from a personal perspective of myself (I have a mental illness), but I much prefer seeing Psychiatrists than Psychotherapists.

Would definitely not agree. Especially in the case of many anxiety disorders. In these cases we see very good long-term amelioration compared to drug treatment. Many times the drug treatments used actually makes things worse in the long term (e.g., benzos for panic, etc).

Splik just had a good post about this in the psych forum.

of course but funny how no one ever loses their zyprexa, and if you can't hold onto your benzo prescription then you're not got getting any. I have patients who want long-term benzos sign a contract that is strtictly enforced

I have discussed the following with my physician and read and understand that:

1. Benzodiazepines are not recommended for the long term treatment of anxiety disorder or insomnia;

2. The first line treatment for anxiety disorders is psychotherapy such as cognitive-behavior therapy aimed at teaching skills of acceptance, relaxation, recognizing triggers to anxiety, and challenging negative and distorted thoughts

3. The recommended drug treatment of anxiety disorders includes non-benzodiazepines such as fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, escitalopram, venlafaxine, duloxetine, mirtazapine and gabapentin

4. There is no evidence supporting the use of benzodiazepines for longer than 2 to 4 weeks’ duration;

5. Benzodiazepines may worsen the long-term use course of anxiety and worsen my anxiety and sleep problems;

6. Benzodiazepines cause tolerance needing higher and higher doses to maintain the same effects;

7. Withdrawal symptoms can occur with missed doses or even at the same dose of medication I take. This can include severe anxiety, panic attacks, worsening depression, psychosis, seizures, and even death. Acute withdrawal from benzodiazepines is a potentially life-threatening consequence and can occur even if I am taking the drug as prescribed by my physician.;

8. Benzodiazepines are associated with an increased risk of death from all-causes. People who use benzodiazepines long-term die earlier than those who do not;

9. Benzodiazepines may impair my ability to drive or operate heavy machinery. I may be more at risk of accidents as a result of driving while using benzodiazepines.;

10. Benzodiazepines have been associated with dementia and may accelerate the onset of dementia. Even in people who do not develop dementia, benzodiazepines can cause problems with memory and concentration

I understand the following conditions for continued prescribing of benzodiazepines and that failure to meet these requirements will lead to being tapered of these drugs:

I will attend regular follow-up appointments to monitor my progress and review my treatment

I will not get refills on my medications without regular follow up appointments

Lost or stolen prescriptions will not be refilled without a police report

There will be no early refills

I will not share my prescription with others

I will not sell my benzodiazepines for other drugs

I will not attempt to obtain benzodiazepines from other providers outside this clinic or on the street

I will take all my medications as recommended and prescribed

I will have any random or routine drug testing required to assess my ongoing use of benzodiazepines and that I am not abusing other drugs that may be harmful to my health

Would definitely not agree. Especially in the case of many anxiety disorders. In these cases we see very good long-term amelioration compared to drug treatment. Many times the drug treatments used actually makes things worse in the long term (e.g., benzos for panic, etc).

Ok - understood.

I was thinking more along the lines of mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics.

But lets just use cannabis (vaporized or ingested) to blanket all of anxiety .... amiright :)

Of course, therapy will not cure psychosis or Bipolar. For them it's more behavioral management, distress tolerance, etc. But to say therapy is only for coping in mild issues is not even close to being accurate. And, I'm all about legalizing MJ even though I have no desire to use it, but there is no compelling evidence to say that it does anything long-term for anxiety. Despite some of my patient's protestations to the contrary :)

Of course, therapy will not cure psychosis or Bipolar. For them it's more behavioral management, distress tolerance, etc. But to say therapy is only for coping in mild issues is not even close to being accurate. And, I'm all about legalizing MJ even though I have no desire to use it, but there is no compelling evidence to say that it does anything long-term for anxiety. Despite some of my patient's protestations to the contrary :)

My main concern with marijuana and anxiety is that the former could quickly become the equivalent of a benzo and/or safety behavior. Long-term, as much as possible, I'd prefer to have the person work through ways of reducing and/or tolerating the anxious distress rather than regularly needing to medicate.

My main concern with marijuana and anxiety is that the former could quickly become the equivalent of a benzo and/or safety behavior. Long-term, as much as possible, I'd prefer to have the person work through ways of reducing and/or tolerating the anxious distress rather than regularly needing to medicate.

Its always amazing to me how much people seem to be ok with essentially being dependent on an external substance for cognitive or behavioral regulation

Exactly, it's just another safety cue/avoidance mechanism, like that bottle of xanax they used to carry around. Additionally, there is still no good data to support its use for that purpose. I'd say the only uses for MJ that I've seen with decent empirical support, is for pediatric seizures that are treatment resistant, and certain types of pain.

Exactly, it's just another safety cue/avoidance mechanism, like that bottle of xanax they used to carry around. Additionally, there is still no good data to support its use for that purpose. I'd say the only uses for MJ that I've seen with decent empirical support, is for pediatric seizures that are treatment resistant, and certain types of pain.

Ditto. I've also heard of physicians who didn't discourage its use by patients with HIV or AIDS, both for pain relief and increased appetite.