Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does publication really look nice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by woodhorse22, Apr 27, 2007.

1. woodhorse22

woodhorse22 Member

Attending Physician
    Hello,
    i am applying this year to medical schools and I have 2 options in the summer: do research with a biochemical professor with no chance of publication or research with an inorganic chemist with chances of co-authorship in a scientific paper. However, if you notice that with latter option, the advisor is in chemistry exclusively whereas in the former one, the adviser is a biochemist (atleast some biology). What should I do? Does it really matter what research topic I work on considering that I am a health science/ Biology major. I am going to be doing it while I ll be applying, so hope it helps. PLEase post. thx

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wanna_B_Scutty

Medical Student
    Idealistic answer: Do whatever you're most passionate about. When you do work that you truly love, your awesomeness will always shine through.

Realistic answer: Take the publications and run, even if the PI is a one-eyed necrophiliac. Publications are like pre-med gold.

4. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4

Medical Student
    If you like the biochemistry research better then I would go wthh the inorganic research only if this "chance of a publication" would actually occur during the application process. It often takes a long time to get papers published and depending on what stage of the project the lab is currently working on, the paper could potentially not be published till late in the cycle or later. Find out more about when they are planning to publish before making a decision. Also remeber that research almost never goes according to plan.

5. Sinfekl

Maybe. First authorships are for sure. Seventh author out of 10, when all you really did was wash dishes for a month and would get grilled if anyone actually asked you about the work, not so much.

I got into good MD-PhD programs with no pubs. They're not as critical or as valuable as they seem, adcoms know there's a lot that goes into getting a pub besides scientific aptitude.

6. orrghead16

orrghead16 decimals and dollars

Pre-Medical
    Go with whichever PI is better. The better one will let you have an exciting project and something of quality. Quality work that could lead to high author pub. down the line is what your goal should be. A few quick experiments and getting tacked onto a paper is not impressive. Being able to talk in-depth, fluently, and being extremely knowledgable about any research will impress adcoms more. And you will more likely get that with a better PI or better project. IMO.

7. MisterShake

MisterShake Ronwell Quincy Dobbs

Medical Student
    honestly, do whichever one interests you the most. there's a very strong chance you'll be asked about your research experience during your med school interviews and it really helps if you can talk intelligently and passionately about what projects you undertook. if the biochem research is what you want to do, do it. it's going to reflect nicely on your character if you had the presence of mind to do something you were interested in and really mastered.