Does pursuing medical school make sense for someone with low vision?

jack85082

Jun 11, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I apologize if I make any faux pas. I’m new to the forum, and I really needed to ask this question as I couldn’t find any good information about it elsewhere online.

I am a rising college freshmen interested in applying to and attending an MD school in hopes of eventually practicing medicine. The issue is that, because I have oculocutaneous albinism, my vision is impaired. To clarify, I have low vision; I am not totally blind. I can read, write, interact with people normally, and even work in the lab without too much trouble. I just need things to be magnified sometimes.

I understand that my visual limitation likely eliminates certain specialities, especially any type of surgery. This reality isn’t really an issue for me as I always saw myself practicing Emergency Medicine or Dermatology. However, can anyone offer opinions on my ability to perform in MD school and actually practice medicine and see patients? I would rather set realistic expectations now than get my hopes up.

Franzd'Epinay

2+ Year Member
    Oct 4, 2019
    1. Attending Physician
      This reality isn’t really an issue for me as I always saw myself practicing Emergency Medicine or Dermatology.

You can definitely be a doctor. Depending on the degree of your visual impairment, EM and Derm may not be the best fields, as they are both fairly visual fields. You can figure out if they are reasonable options once you rotate through those fields during medical school, though.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.