Does race really play a big factor into medical school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbk21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry to bring this up as I know it has been discussed, but does race make a big difference, in the sense that they want to recruit more minorities into the medical field? I've seen profiles of minority applicants with average stats get into top tier medical universities, isn't this unfair? Then again life is unfair...

I'm Pakistani, is this considered a minority (I don't see a lot of Pakistani doctors), as we're immigrants, or are we just considered as Indian's (don't mean to offend anyone, but over here, if your brown, your Indian, not many people know about Pakistan even after recent events) by adcoms?

Hope I didn't offend anyone by making this thread, I was just curious as there so many posts about ethnicities on this forum.

Thanks for all the valuable information and support. Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

:beat:

I don't think you're a minority. Schools want more minorities in medical school, only because minorites are underepresented in medicine. But I really think that this thread should be shut down before the ensuing riot, no offense to you OP.

Pakistanis are not an underrepresented minority. Neither are Indians.

It is a misconception to think that not many educated people know the difference between Pakistan and India.

Don't let "average stats" fool you. "Average stats" doesn't necessarily mean average applicant. There's more to an applicant than stats and ethnicity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pakistanis are not an underrepresented minority. Neither are Indians.

It is a misconception to think that not many educated people know the difference between Pakistan and India.

Don't let "average stats" fool you. "Average stats" doesn't necessarily mean average applicant. There's more to an applicant than stats and ethnicity.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I probably just overlooked the EC's when making that statement. The people I was referring to are moderately educated, but I understand your point, most adcoms would.

pakis and indians are not underrepresented... in fact we are probably overrepresented in medicine

pakis and indians are not underrepresented... in fact we are probably overrepresented in medicine

Wow, that's nice to know, what do you think about the Medical institutions in our country?

Wow, that's nice to know, what do you think about the Medical institutions in our country?

in pakistan? its a 3rd world country so i mean they are not that great. The best technology, equipment, doctors, and procedures are here in america.

in pakistan? its a 3rd world country so i mean they are not that great. The best technology, equipment, doctors, and procedures are here in america.

I should have said in our countries, but yes, in Pakistan.

My father wanted to send me there but I just could not leave my family. This is off topic, but earlier this week there was a suicide bomb in a naval college near my hometown in Lahore. I hope the violence and destruction ends in this world.

Thanks for your input.

there's no question that race plays a significant role in medical school admissions. if you're african american or hispanic, schools will be a lot more forgiving of mediocre stats. of course, stats aren't the whole picture; but they're significant nonetheless. if you're white or asian and, say, have a 35 and a 3.7 with average EC's, it's gonna be a lot harder for you to get into a top 20 medical school (for what that's worth) than it would be for an underrepresented minority with an equivalent profile. i'm not here to tell people whether that's a bad or good thing, but i don't think there's any question about the fact that the bar is set lower from a "numbers" standpoint.

Hi,
Sorry to bring this up as I know it has been discussed, but does race make a big difference, in the sense that they want to recruit more minorities into the medical field? I've seen profiles of minority applicants with average stats get into top tier medical universities, isn't this unfair? Then again life is unfair...

I'm Pakistani, is this considered a minority (I don't see a lot of Pakistani doctors), as we're immigrants, or are we just considered as Indian's (don't mean to offend anyone, but over here, if your brown, your Indian, not many people know about Pakistan even after recent events) by adcoms?

Hope I didn't offend anyone by making this thread, I was just curious as there so many posts about ethnicities on this forum.

Thanks for all the valuable information and support. Peace.

Sure, Pakistanis are minorities. But not in medicine.