Does research before med school count towards residency apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med10333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got accepted into an osteopathic medical school this month. So naturally, I am now getting interested in how to score a good residency.

I have had some really great research experiences as an undergrad (but no publications). Will these count towards my residency application? Or if I were to get a publication this summer, before entering MS1, would I be able to include that on my application for residency?

Does all my hard work really just keep getting erased every 4 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just got accepted into an osteopathic medical school this month. So naturally, I am now getting interested in how to score a good residency.

I have had some really great research experiences as an undergrad (but no publications). Will these count towards my residency application? Or if I were to get a publication this summer, before entering MS1, would I be able to include that on my application for residency?

Does all my hard work really just keep getting erased every 4 years?

Publications definitely count. Research before med school without pubs may or maynot count depending on how impressive it was.

We got to review applications at our program, people list all kinds of crap. Some would list some lame ass volunteer stuff they did for 2 hours one time. I realized you can pretty much put anything you want on there. I guess they felt the need to have a lot of quantity on here. I wasn't impressed by those apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked research three years full-time before med school, definitely got asked about during my residency interviews.

There is definitely spots on the residency application that asks for prior research experience, regardless of when you did it. You'll be ahead of people who never had any research.