Does research contribute to job opportunities outside of academia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychferlyfe3000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing research during residency and am wondering: Should I decide not to go into academic, does spending time/effort on research open up any job opportunities outside of academia? Thank you for any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the nature of your research, basically adds to a resume for relevant non-doctor jobs; pharma research, bench work, scientific consulting, data/informatics, etc.
I am doing addiction research. Would clinical jobs, eg, private practices, care about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
The name of the game for most employed jobs, can you enter the mine and extract wRVUs with the limited jack hammers or even pick axes you are gifted?

Are you one who keeps their mouth shut when you see shadiness, violations, poor care, poor working environments, stress from understaffing, getting financially stiffed for the "greater good", not someone who wants to change things, able to do more call and meetings without asking to be paid, and supervise any ARNPs asked of you? a team player?

Reactions: 7 users
I am doing addiction research. Would clinical jobs, eg, private practices, care about this?
Only in the very niche case that you're trying to become super published on a topic so that you can be "world expert" in addictions. But then it's really marketing yourself to potential patients and institutional clients, not employers. (An addiction doc where I trained comes to mind... keeps a miniscule FTE at the academic job and ranks in $$$$$ from private pay pts and large sports institutions.)

Reactions: 2 users
at about by way of getting into a name brand fellowship? Would that then open up more job opportunities outside of academia?

What about by way of getting a name brand fellowship? I'm told fellowships care about research, I think??? Would that then open the door to more job opportunities? Or, if youre already coming from an academic medical center, does further name brand prestige not really matter?

Most psych fellowships are not that competitive, but sure, if you're aiming, e.g., for child psych at a name-brand institution, publications wouldn't hurt.

I do notice that some people who run cash private practices have their academic publications on their websites. Not sure if that gives them particularly more cred with patients or not. I suspect it's negligible.