does research project on a gene that involve in cleft lip development help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing a research project on a gene that involve in cleft lip development. Is it something that I can talk alot when applying to dental schools to show my interest in dentisty? Or do they want applicants with strong clinical experience (i.e. many hours of shadowing, voluteering involve with ppl)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

smooth...no offense, but don't be stupid...yes it's a good talking point if you understand what you are talking about.

That type of research is definitely advantageous because dentistry isn't all about prophy and filling cavities. There are some significant efforts being made in the fields of genetics, biochemistry, and bioengineering, all of which pertain to the mouth. If you feel like you need a good tie-in to dentistry, it shouldn't be hard to think of ways in which genetics predispose people to certain conditions or deformities. I, for one, would love to see some research on the genetics behind tooth and jaw development. Imagine if we could improve someone's teeth before they even erupted!