Does sociology count as a non-science for letters of recommendation for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is sociology a non-science class for LORs?

• Yes, sociology is a non-science class for LORs.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No, sociology is a science class for LORs. DUH!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on each individual medical school you apply to.

• It depends, but for most med schools, it's considered a non-science.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • It depends, but for most med schools, it's considered a science.

• Total voters

thenor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I developed a great relationship with my Intro to Sociology prof, and she enthusiastically agreed to writing me a LOR.

Does sociology count as a non-science? I understand that it's a social science course. But we didn't do any actual typical "science" stuff in the class. It felt more like a humanities class.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While the above is absolutely true, it is not the basis for science versus non science. AMCAS classification is solely used for courses and GPA Calculation. The definition of what is acceptable for its letters is solely up to each individual school.

Ahh all right! That's good to know.

Just as an example, here are some specifics from CWRU

Q. How do we define letters from "science advisors/professors"?
A. We will accept letters from professors or advisors in the disciplines of:

• Life Sciences (Biology, Zoology, Human Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Neuroscience, etc.)
  • Physical Sciences (Physics & Chemistry)
  • Mathematics (Calculus, Statistics, Biostatistics)
  • Engineering Sciences (Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.)
  • Exercise Science or Physiology
  • Nursing
We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement but are acceptable as additional letters of recommendation.

Thanks for the example! I don't see "sociology" mentioned anywhere, but since it isn't mentioned in the sciences for this particular school, then they probably consider it a non-science for LORs.
I have a question not relating to this forum. Is there a particular reason why you quote all of your replies? I'm kind of obsessed with your biography thing under your posts. :) I really like the whole, "I am not a crook", "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." And what exactly is the "big bad apple"?