1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

does state residency matter for private schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by twf2106, Feb 13, 2007.

1. twf2106

twf2106 twf2106

Podiatry Student
    hi! i live in NY, i have for 2 years, and i just started a postbacc last year. i will be applying for dental school to start fall '08 (so i'll apply this summer)

my question is this: since i have a lease in NY, i can claim NY residency, but my permanent address is in South Carolina. I was planning on applying to Bu, NYU, etc...so mainly the private schools. Would it put me at an advantage to claim one or the other? I was thinking maybe the SC residency would be more beneficial since private schools like to have diversity...but i could be completely wrong.

any help that you could give would be great!

thanks in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kappa505

kappa505 eres tu que mi odio
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Most private schools give some kind of preference to instate students. Such as Marquette there is no other dental school in WI so they are subsidized by the state. 50% of seats go to WI residents. As far as the east coast goes I am clueless but you would think some private schools accept more instate vs outstate. Did I mention I am no expert best place to find stats such as the ratio of InSt/OuSt would be www.predents.com. And then find out the schools residensy policy, some schools are more strict then others.