Quantcast

does state residency matter for private schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twf2106

twf2106
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hi! i live in NY, i have for 2 years, and i just started a postbacc last year. i will be applying for dental school to start fall '08 (so i'll apply this summer)

my question is this: since i have a lease in NY, i can claim NY residency, but my permanent address is in South Carolina. I was planning on applying to Bu, NYU, etc...so mainly the private schools. Would it put me at an advantage to claim one or the other? I was thinking maybe the SC residency would be more beneficial since private schools like to have diversity...but i could be completely wrong.

any help that you could give would be great!

thanks in advance!

pmantz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most private schools give some kind of preference to instate students. Such as Marquette there is no other dental school in WI so they are subsidized by the state. 50% of seats go to WI residents. As far as the east coast goes I am clueless but you would think some private schools accept more instate vs outstate. Did I mention I am no expert best place to find stats such as the ratio of InSt/OuSt would be www.predents.com. And then find out the schools residensy policy, some schools are more strict then others.