Does Step 2 make up for lack of AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saiyagirl

I'm in-between 3rd and 4th year on a research fellowship. I can make the time to study for step 2 if I really wanted to take it this year.

I can't decide whether it's a good idea. I'm hoping to match into a competitive specialty next year (ophthalmology), and I have what I hope are competitive board scores (248). However, I am not AOA and high passed every single one of my rotations with the exception of my outpatient rotation (pass), and my medicine sub-I (honors). All my electives, including ophtho, are pass/fail (I passed all, thank god!).

I am definitely forgetting everything I learned my first three years of med school on this research year, which makes me want to study and take Step 2 before I forget more. However, I am scared to score lower than my Step 1 score and devalue it. That makes me want to wait until 4th year after applications are in. What do you think?

Also, in case I were to take Step 2 now and score well or better than my Step 1 score, would it make up even partially for my lack of AOA - given the competitiveness of the field I am hoping to match into?

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in-between 3rd and 4th year on a research fellowship. I can make the time to study for step 2 if I really wanted to take it this year.

I can't decide whether it's a good idea. I'm hoping to match into a competitive specialty next year (ophthalmology), and I have what I hope are competitive board scores (248). However, I am not AOA and high passed every single one of my rotations with the exception of my outpatient rotation (pass), and my medicine sub-I (honors). All my electives, including ophtho, are pass/fail (I passed all, thank god!).

I am definitely forgetting everything I learned my first three years of med school on this research year, which makes me want to study and take Step 2 before I forget more. However, I am scared to score lower than my Step 1 score and devalue it. That makes me want to wait until 4th year after applications are in. What do you think?

Also, in case I were to take Step 2 now and score well or better than my Step 1 score, would it make up even partially for my lack of AOA - given the competitiveness of the field I am hoping to match into?

Thanks for your advice.

I recommend not taking Step II. Only something like 20% of ophtho residents are in AOA anyway. Don't risk spoiling that pretty 248.
To ensure you match, you're better off working on getting awesome ophtho letters of rec, and publishing your research(in a high impact factor journal if possible), if you haven't already done so. Also get familiar with the slit lamp and eye exam and impress some people on away rotations. Get those things done and you'll definitely be all set.

Thanks for your advice.

Just to balance the prev. response. I had a similarly high step 1 score and decided to take step 2 in july after 3rd year. I did score higher and almost every program director brought up the fact that they were impressed I wasn't scared to take step 2. Those were the words they used...scared. They know that people put it off for fear of doing worse. So if you're confident that you can do well, take it, it will help set you apart more than the same "strong" letters that almost everyone has. I scheduled mine, studied and took a practice test a few days before with the idea that if I didn't score well on the practice I would drop the test date back. Confident = good but better safe than sorry.

I will say you shouldnt risk it. What if you score 200 or so. It will be held against you. one of the things you have going for you is that there is less time to take it by the time the match happens since it is the early match.

Dont do it..

as someone who just matched in ophtho, most PDs don't even look at step 2 scores since most applicants haven't taken it by the time their applications are submitted (mid - late aug). i would say not to risk it but if u think u will do about the same, it would be nice to get it out of the way.

Thanks for your advice.

Did the same thing as Dynx for pretty much the exact same reasons. But I was pretty confident that I could top my score on step 1.

i did a year of between my MS3 and MS4 years, and took step 2 in the beginning of my year off (September). i did fair/ average on step 1, and was preparing to go into a competitive surgical subspecialty w/o AOA- so for me it was obvious that i needed to slaughter step 2- which i did, but after an excrutiating amount of studying; it was also helpful that i was close to third year.

my vote is to take step 2 late, sit w/ your excellent step 1 score, and more important than anything- build connections w/ your current ophtho faculty, publish your research, and present your work at >1 ophtho conference, kissing ass while your there- that will secure a spot unlike anything else. I presented at 2 conferences, and one of my poster reviewers enthusiastically advised me to apply to his program, communicating that he'd be an advocate for me.

it was difficult to go back into 4th year feeling rusty, but it passed after the first rotation.

best wishes

Only something like 20% of ophtho residents are in AOA anyway.

Actually, only 7% of all medical students are AOA, and they match into every specialty. Don't overestimate the value of AOA - common things will always be common in medicine, and AOA just isn't that common...

AOA is "nice to have" but not "need to have", even in most competitive residencies. Obviously, it can set you apart, but it's simply not a universal gauge, as not every medical school has AOA, and the procedures and numbers for AOA selection vary from school to school. So don't sweat it over your "non-AOA" status.

If you think you can do really well on Step 2, then get it out of the way. But with your current step 1 score, and a full research year under your belt, I'm sure you'll do fine come match day... :)