Does Step 2 Matter for Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rigomortis

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know if or how much Step II matters when you apply for fellowships a few years down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step 2 score really isn't that important with regards to securing a fellowship. Where you are receiving your residency training (especially if they have fellowships that you are interested in) and connections (a well-connected Chairperson and PD is invaluable) plays a major role.

Hi there

When you say fellowship what do you exactly mean ??

I know I sound like a real dum, but anyway ...

Does it mean a subspeciality or else academic research ??

Hi there

When you say fellowship what do you exactly mean ??

I know I sound like a real dum, but anyway ...

Does it mean a subspeciality or else academic research ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I mean a subspecialty after residency, i.e. GI, Cardiology, CV Surgery, etc.

Interesting question ..

I was told step I is a lot more important than step II for residency/ match.

Both will last 7 yrs apparently, but where is step II score going to play a big role ??

I am keen to know as well...

basically step 1 is the major screening tool, but if you can do better on your step 2 you can kind of make up for the step 1 score that is less-than-outstanding. If, however, you do excellent on step 1 and are a US student you may consider just not taking step 2 till after the match just in case you do worse on step 2. They will look at BOTH scores if they are both on your application and take both into consideration.