Does Step 3 matter for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anesthesia resident, intern yr now. Wanna get it done soon, but am curious as to how it factors in during the application review process. Appreciate any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

45 views, no replies... not bad.

Pretty strong resource we have here for those w/questions:rolleyes:

It will definitely help to have a passing score on Step 3 and even better would be to have a valid permanent state license in any state. I was never asked specifically asked about step 3 scores during the application process but all programs will ask for copies of Steps 1-3. I wouldn't wait too far beyond your internship to take Step 3.

I have given this advice in other posts, but it is wise to take (and pass) step 3 and get a permanent state license sooner rather than later. It is easier to keep a license than to get one (i.e. if something happens like a DUI during internship, etc. prior to your permanent application). Something like this could be a real obstacle for initial licensure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will definitely help to have a passing score on Step 3 and even better would be to have a valid permanent state license in any state. I was never asked specifically asked about step 3 scores during the application process but all programs will ask for copies of Steps 1-3. I wouldn't wait too far beyond your internship to take Step 3.

I have given this advice in other posts, but it is wise to take (and pass) step 3 and get a permanent state license sooner rather than later. It is easier to keep a license than to get one (i.e. if something happens like a DUI during internship, etc. prior to your permanent application). Something like this could be a real obstacle for initial licensure.

Thanks Stim. Much appreciated. I'm taking S3 soon, and licensure in my state comes after PGY-2, so other advice is noted. Just wanted to get an idea of the amount of time to dedicate b/c I'm studying during an IM floor month. Thanks again!:thumbup:

It can be important, I was asked about my scores. Particulary if other elements of your application are not that strong or if Step 1 or 2 were marginal.

i'm not sure if a single program asked about S3. just make sure you pass. i'd rank importance of application:

1) personal call from someone who knows the staff (i.e. your chair to their chair, etc)
2) people from elite residencies get into elite fellowships (all six of our guys went to top notch programs)...sort of
3) letters...
4) interviews...
5) research (i know that people downplay this one, but if it's a decision b/t applicant "A" versus "B", i'd imagine this is a good tie-breaker. especially for smaller programs who want to make sure a person's heart is in pain) as a rule it's still not worth doing research into something you don't enjoy just to get it on your CV. i did a pain paper and regional anes. one and they were both enjoyable.

anyway, just one person's thoughts