Does study abroad make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreaming big

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im thinking bout doing a study abroad this winter, and was wondering would that make any difference in regards to med school application? It counts as a extra bio class towards my major, so thats a plus. And its an easy a. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it for the med school benefits. Do it for the broadening and diversifying experience.
On the other hand, it may provide some material for interviews and your PS. You just never know. You'll probably get more out of it though if you choose to do it for the experience and not some "gold star" on your app/resume.

It is a fairly common thing these days, so don't do it thinking it will make you stand out somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely do it but don't expect it to make much difference on your application. Study abroad is great experience on its own. Lots of fun.

Do it. Just do it.

Don't worry about what it means for your app. You won't regret it, I guarantee it.

I never got to actually study abroad, but I have spent a lot of time living abroad doing volunteer projects, and I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

I think that study abroad can definitely be an asset to your application, if you are genuinely interested in it. The question you have to dig inside yourself and ask is, "Do I really want to do this or would I rather do ____ with my time?" There are many things that can be helpful to a med school application. If you decide study abroad is what you want to do, GREAT! But, if not, there are many other things out there for you to pursue. Make the most out of college while you can. :)

Agree with above. Study abroad is mostly for your personal benefit - it's not likely to have much impact on your application one way or another. But it might give you something to write about or some stories to tell, and more importantly, it might help with life perspective, but not so much with a medical school appliction.