Does taking a heavy course-load look good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerrapinAndrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background: I am a 23y/o post-bac student who will be applying during the 2013 cycle.

Next semester (fall) I will be taking Physics 1, Biochem (graduate level section) and Microbio intro. I assume that I will be fairly busy during this semester and thus don't anticipate to have time to do research AND clinical volunteering simultaneously, at least not both to a great extent. I do patient education and volunteering at a community health center and will continue to do that 5 hours per week- but my time for getting involved in research will be limited.

So here is the question- is it better to take a heavy courseload (3 or more hard sciences) than spending the extra time with taking only 2 hard sciences doing research and clinical volunteering? Or is it better to pick either research or clinical volunteering and focus on that primarily, along with classes.

Is it even worth it to take three hard sciences or will it really not help me with med school admissions (providing I do well in the courses, which I plan to do obviously)? Would it be better to take only 2 hard science classes and forget about taking Biochem until the spring? That would make it impossible for me to take cell bio- which I hear is a good class to take.

I already have some research experience from a few years ago and will soon be the co-author on a paper concerning type II diabetes. My cGPA is 3.6 and my sGPA is around the same, leaning more towards 3.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I dont have many people in my life right now who are knowledgeable about med school admission so I'm glad I found this place.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting an excellent GPA is your first priority. Always. Understanding your own limitations and time mangement skills helps you decide what you can add on top of the academics, and still suceed. Which ECs you put first delpends on what you already have, and where you perceive your weaknesses to be. If you already have 1+ years of research, and don't plan to apply to research-oriented schools, you can put that time elsewhere. If your clinical experience is weak, then (IMO) that trumps research. If you need both ECs, then consider dropping one of the science classes if it would stretch you too much.

Adcomms love to see applicants take a heavy load of sciences and manage multiple time-consuming ECs, but only if they still get great grades.

Some background: I am a 23y/o post-bac student who will be applying during the 2013 cycle.

Next semester (fall) I will be taking Physics 1, Biochem (graduate level section) and Microbio intro. I assume that I will be fairly busy during this semester and thus don't anticipate to have time to do research AND clinical volunteering simultaneously, at least not both to a great extent. I do patient education and volunteering at a community health center and will continue to do that 5 hours per week- but my time for getting involved in research will be limited.

So here is the question- is it better to take a heavy courseload (3 or more hard sciences) than spending the extra time with taking only 2 hard sciences doing research and clinical volunteering? Or is it better to pick either research or clinical volunteering and focus on that primarily, along with classes.

Is it even worth it to take three hard sciences or will it really not help me with med school admissions (providing I do well in the courses, which I plan to do obviously)? Would it be better to take only 2 hard science classes and forget about taking Biochem until the spring? That would make it impossible for me to take cell bio- which I hear is a good class to take.

I already have some research experience from a few years ago and will soon be the co-author on a paper concerning type II diabetes. My cGPA is 3.6 and my sGPA is around the same, leaning more towards 3.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I dont have many people in my life right now who are knowledgeable about med school admission so I'm glad I found this place.

I agree with Catalystik, getting an excellent GPA is indeed your top priority.

Biochemistry is pretty involved, so if it were me, I would take that in the Spring. That way you don't have to sacrifice your GPA and research and clinical volunteering in the Fall. It sounds like you have a pretty sweet gig with patient education.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA should always be top priority!

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded- this is definitely helpful advice.

So- you think it makes sense to focus on getting in some upper-div science courses and doing well in them so I can show ADCOMs that I can handle a tough schedule similar to med school?

I feel like I could take the bare minimum requirements and just focus on doing really well with them- but I am right in assuming that its better to fit in more classes and demonstrate what you can handle?

I think I will drop the grad level Biochem class and enroll in the biochemistry of human disease class- which should be a bit easier (and more interesting). Thanks again.

1) So- you think it makes sense to focus on getting in some upper-div science courses and doing well in them so I can show ADCOMs that I can handle a tough schedule similar to med school?

2) I feel like I could take the bare minimum requirements and just focus on doing really well with them- but I am right in assuming that its better to fit in more classes and demonstrate what you can handle?
1) Yes.

2) Yes.