1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does taking both chem 101 and 102 w/labs during the summer equal insanity?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by alexfoleyc, Dec 6, 2008.

1. alexfoleyc

alexfoleyc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Any tips for handling summer classes? I was looking at the schedule and its something liek this: Our college has two blocks; one for chem 101 (6 weeks) and another for chem 102(6 weeks). Lectures are 3 hours long MWF and labs are TuTh 3 hours long. I was wondering if anyone ever did this. Obviously, we will covering anywhere from 2-3 chapters per week, so how do you survive? Any tips? Generally speaking, how many chapters do you cover in a semester of chem? I know for bio we did 17 chs in a regular semester.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alexfoleyc

alexfoleyc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh Yea, I have no other options available. In order to prepare for the MCAT in time, I have follow this plan. I may end up taking these at a CC since summer classes at my college are expensive.

4. zpiff

zpiff Spaceman
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually did this over a summer when I was in high school. It's a lot of work but definitely doable. Good luck!

5. GamjaXnamjA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    even though its accelerated, its only 2 classes.. and they are both the same subject. You shouldn't have too much trouble, good luck:thumbup:

6. kac714

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i did it also, it was hard but doable... i think it may have been easier then during the regular year.

7. chemnerd89

chemnerd89 In it for the lulz
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's definitely not too fun, but manageable. Be prepared to be in lab a LOT during the week.

8. rx515

5+ Year Member

I took physics 1 and 2 in 10 weeks over the summer. I really liked it that way. It was nice only having to focus on one course. I also worked about 15 hours week too. Definitely doable!

9. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took gen chem and physics both with labs during one summer. You have to stay ontop of the classes a little more due to the shortened semester, but I didn't think it was too bad.

10. theacks1

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just be careful: I took chem over the summer, got 100s on all the exams when the class average was a 40, and had to learn real chem by myself after starting Orgo and realizing that they taught nothing in that class.

I'm exaggerating (but seriously, I was getting 100s when the class average was in the 40s and people were getting 5s and 10s on 20 question 4 choice multiple choice tests) but remember that many people taking chem in the summer may not be the most science oriented people and the course may reflect this.

11. NotForTheMoney

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    its not that bad if you're a science geek. i took biology and chem both at the same time in the summer at the same time..long hours, but as far as difficulty goes its not hard at all. but good luck to ya

12. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lots of people take orgo over summer and do ok, i don't think gen chem can be that bad. good luck!

13. iTool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have a friend who did this.. it can be tough depending on the professor and your problem solving ability and work ethic but the course is almost always easier in the summer than during the regular semester.

also, in terms of work load, think of it as a regular semester taking 13-15 credits. a 3 credit class usually meets for about 2.5hrs a week (50 minutes X 3)
    so 9 hours of lecture a week = (9/2.5)*3credits = 10.8 credit hours
    chem lab in my school was 1 credit for 3 hrs so add 2 more credits and you have about 13 credits. not too bad, right? you'll be fine.

14. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did chem 1+2and bio 1 /w labs, all in the same summer. It worked out fine. I actually prefer the compressed learning time, regular semesters often seem too drawn out.

15. apgar

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know someone who did a years worth of orgo in a summer with a similar schedule and he seemed to do very well. It may be a bunch of material to plow through, but if you are focused, you should have no problem.