Does taking time off for the MCAT look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted this in the re-app. forum but since more people seem to be viewing this one I'm now putting it here :)

OK... so, to make it quick. I'm a post-bac, already have a degree so I'm not on any time constraint to finish one. I've completed all my pre-reqs for med school with the exception of a few upper-division courses that I'm planning on taking during my application year.

I've already taken 1 quarter off for this test and I still don't feel 100% ready. I would love to take spring quarter off but I'm afraid it will come back to bite me in the a$$ during my interviews or what not. SO.... would taking 2 quarters off look bad to admissions? I would appreciate any advice please!!!

Members don't see this ad.

AliZ said:
SO.... would taking 2 quarters off look bad to admissions?

only if you do badly :D

...which is why I've still been taking a couple classes. I was stupid though. My classes were absurdly demanding and time-consuming. I should have only taken one class. I didn't want to take the whole quarter off because I felt that if I still did poorly on the mcat, after all that time off, I'd look like a fool. My winter quarter just ended so now I'm doing hardcore mcat preparation. If you can take one or two light classes, and a schedule where you only have to go 2 days a week that would be ideal. That's what I'm doing for spring quarter. Of course, if you're working or have other obligations you didn't mention then you shouldn't feel bad about taking another quarter off.

AliZ said:
Hey guys,

I posted this in the re-app. forum but since more people seem to be viewing this one I'm now putting it here :)

OK... so, to make it quick. I'm a post-bac, already have a degree so I'm not on any time constraint to finish one. I've completed all my pre-reqs for med school with the exception of a few upper-division courses that I'm planning on taking during my application year.

I've already taken 1 quarter off for this test and I still don't feel 100% ready. I would love to take spring quarter off but I'm afraid it will come back to bite me in the a$$ during my interviews or what not. SO.... would taking 2 quarters off look bad to admissions? I would appreciate any advice please!!!

I'm in a similar situation. I am pairing back a bit on my volunteering, and have slacked off a lot in terms of doing work stuff at night (emails, quoting, proposal writing, engineering etc.). I am taking 10 days off work (maybe 2 weeks, TBD) prior to the 16th, so I can totally focus and work passages and stuff.

I think it's normal to cut back a bit. I would do what you feel is necessary to do well.

That being said, I've reflected that it's entirely possible to never really be ready.