Does teaching for the MCAT look good to Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeLaDeala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did very well on the MCAT and am looking for some summer employment. They asked me to apply. Oral presentations and teaching are a couple of things that I am really good at, but I don't currently do any tutoring/peer-teaching. Will teaching for Kaplan look good on my resume, or is it not worth the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Leading a classroom would definitely show leadership, which definitely helps. One of my MCAT instructors was teaching and was matriculating to Case Western later that fall, so it looked good for her haha.

Its pretty equivalent to tutoring so yeah it looks great! Im not sure if your asking that since you taught ppl something that prepares them for med school that puts you in a special category. If thats what your asking then no. It will however show how knowledegable you are tutoring pretty high level stuff. Great job!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Kaplan MCAT instructor and my interviewers have been loving it! Go for it - I love the job!

I would imagine teaching almost anything else would be more rewarding. But that's just me.

I tutored the coursework that is required to take the MCAT (Gen Chem, Gen Physics, Biology) rather than teaching the test itself. I would recommend doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
I did very well on the MCAT and am looking for some summer employment. They asked me to apply. Oral presentations and teaching are a couple of things that I am really good at, but I don't currently do any tutoring/peer-teaching. Will teaching for Kaplan look good on my resume, or is it not worth the time?

Yup. Go for it. It'll help

As with all ECs it depends on how you discuss it. I think teaching is a very rewarding experience that provides you with some good experience worth mentioning on your app, but you're not going to become God incarnate afterward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

One of my classmates did that during undergrad and continued private tutoring while he was in medical school. Helped him pay tuition and seemed to be a good experience for him (especially setting his own hours). I'd say go for it!

Not if you scored low on the MCAT

wat.