Does teaching patients in a clinic count as clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For starters, I'm a freshman and I've been doing a good chunk of this stuff since high school. Once a week I help teach a diabetes class, along with signing in patients, counting donation money, and even handing out medical equipment (needles mostly). I feel that because the patients are actively sick with a disease and I'm volunteering, and the class literally takes place inside a clinic, that this should count as clinical volunteering. Does it?

Volunteering in a hospital is important, but I can't do that while I have a job, volunteer in a soup kitchen, do my classwork, and shadow in a hospital. I guess my second question is: What exactly is considered "clinical volunteering" in the most basic sense.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be hard pressed to sell it as volunteerism if you are getting course credits for it. Am I understanding correctly, that's what is going on? It's a class for credits that has you helping out in a clinic?

You'd be hard pressed to sell it as volunteerism if you are getting course credits for it. Am I understanding correctly, that's what is going on? It's a class for credits that has you helping out in a clinic?
Noooo. I'm not sure if I misled you with something I typed but I'm definitely not getting anything out of this, except for hours I guess. So now would you call that clinical volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I gotcha, class as in the diabetes class you teach, not like a college class. My bad.

If you're spending unpaid, uncredited hours helping out in a clinic then yes! That is clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I gotcha, class as in the diabetes class you teach, not like a college class. My bad.

If you're spending unpaid, uncredited hours helping out in a clinic then yes! That is clinical volunteering.
Ok. Thank you.

Ok. Thank you.
On top of that, I think it is a really strong clinical volunteering gig. Much better than something like wheeling around patients and that sort of stuff, hopefully you're passionate about it, because if I was interviewing you I would definitely ask about it!

Reactions: 1 user