Does the AMA respresent you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maniax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would not begin to tell anyone what they should believe about healthcare reform. Most of us joined the AMA at the very beginning of our MS1 year with no knowledge of what they truly represent and who they represent. The AMA has approx 200,000 members. 90,000 of those are medical students. I believe all medical students should contact the AMA to explain our beliefs. Personally, I cancelled my membership today for the reason that they do not represent me personally for the protection of the sanctity of my profession.
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...ions/medical-student-section/contact-us.shtml

Members don't see this ad.

I would not begin to tell anyone what they should believe about healthcare reform. Most of us joined the AMA at the very beginning of our MS1 year with no knowledge of what they truly represent and who they represent. The AMA has approx 200,000 members. 90,000 of those are medical students. I believe all medical students should contact the AMA to explain our beliefs. Personally, I cancelled my membership today for the reason that they do not represent me personally for the protection of the sanctity of my profession.
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/abo...ions/medical-student-section/contact-us.shtml

Good work. They need to take care of physician interests over there in Washington, but they do no such thing. Also residency salaries have not gone up with inflation. What the heck is the AMA doing?

To answer the OP'sm question: No.

The AMA has decided to cave figuring that a compromise is better than the inevitable punishment that would follow a loss. I think that in this instance it would have been better to stand on principle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't agree with every single position taken by the AMA or the AAFP, but that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to work with them.

This point has been made here before but the problem with the AMA and other national trade/labor groups like the NEA is that it's really hard to be both a labor group and a policy advocate for the consumers of your labor pool's efforts. You can't credibly argue at the same time for what is best for doctors and patients. Sometimes the two are not the same. This just as it is with the teacher's groups. The interests of teachers and students often diverge.

This point has been made here before but the problem with the AMA and other national trade/labor groups like the NEA is that it's really hard to be both a labor group and a policy advocate for the consumers of your labor pool's efforts. You can't credibly argue at the same time for what is best for doctors and patients. Sometimes the two are not the same. This just as it is with the teacher's groups. The interests of teachers and students often diverge.

:thumbup: