speedyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
I know A+'s "only" count as 4.0 and not a 4.33, but the AMCAS still reports the grade as an "A+" right?

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
speedyk said:
I know A+'s "only" count as 4.0 and not a 4.33, but the AAMCAS still reports the grade as an "A+" right?
Your transcript reports A+s? It will not show up as such on AMCAS.

About the Ads
OP
S

speedyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
ADeadLois said:
Oh well. Thanks.

FujiApple

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Skeptic said:
you're a tool

Why is he a tool? He worked extra hard to get those extra points to earn that extra little "plus." Why shouldn't that work be recognized on his AMCAS?

OP
S

speedyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
FujiApple said:
Why is he a tool? He worked extra hard to get those extra points to earn that extra little "plus." Why shouldn't that work be recognized on his AMCAS?
I guess it's fair since some people go to schools that don't give them out.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
FujiApple said:
Because most schools do not give A+s. Thus, an "A" at most schools could be in the A+ range at the OP's school. Why should the OP get extra credit because their school gives A+'s.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FujiApple said:
I believe the point was, he is a tool for posting a thread about A+'s. He isn't a tool for getting A+'s.

note: I am not calling the OP a tool, I am merely explaining the thought process one might go through to end up calling him a tool.

geeko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ADeadLois said:
Are you sure? My advisor told me the A+ does show up on the AMCAS transcript, it's just calculated into your GPA as 4.0 instead of 4.33.

Johnny_one_eye

Phleboptimist
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
geeko said:
Are you sure? My advisor told me the A+ does show up on the AMCAS transcript, it's just calculated into your GPA as 4.0 instead of 4.33.
well i've got a verified amcas right here that says differently...

TeaLeef

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Status
Medical Student
speedyk said:
I know A+'s "only" count as 4.0 and not a 4.33, but the AMCAS still reports the grade as an "A+" right?
It says A+ in the "OT Grade" column and A in the "AMCAS Grade" column. Does anyone know what OT stands for?

About the Ads

Johnny_one_eye

Phleboptimist
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
TeaLeef said:
It says A+ in the "OT Grade" column and A in the "AMCAS Grade" column. Does anyone know what OT stands for?
Official Transcript? That's just a guess...

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Woah some school count A+ as 4.333 in their GPA? Talk about grade inflation...

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Status
Medical Student
To the OP: Does your final grade in the course have to be > 100% to get an A+, or is there a range below that?

Johnny_one_eye

Phleboptimist
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
danjo said:
To the OP: Does your final grade in the course have to be > 100% to get an A+, or is there a range below that?
Sorry, I know I'm not the OP, but for my school it depends on the class. Only some classes give out A+'s. It's usually 97-100% get them, but you still only get a 4.0, so no grade inflation as the previous poster suggested. So really, there's no reason for them to put it as an A+, except for show I guess :)

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
My lone A+ appears as such on my amcas. Still counts as a 4.0, though.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
speedyk said:
No, in fact it deducts points because you went to a school that actually gives A+'s. :smuggrin:

Sekiray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
Status
it doesnt seem like a bad idea to leave the A+s because when they compare you to other students from the same school, it shows that the person worked or just raped everyone else out of the water. Esp coming from a big UC, i think it definitely means something to get A+s because truly, only about 5 out of 500 ppl get it, while 100 ppl can get regular As.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
floridakppr said:
Your advisor is wrong/misspoke/uninformed. All of my A+'s were recorded as A's by AMCAS.
My A+'s got switched to A's as well. But, as mentioned before, it still says A+ in the "OT" column. It's your "AMCAS Grade" that gets reverted because AMCAS (as well as most undergrad that still give A+'s) counts it as a 4.0.

At my university, the only school that gives a 4.33 for A+ is the law school... figures :rolleyes:

Bubchik

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
Status
Sekiray said:
it doesnt seem like a bad idea to leave the A+s because when they compare you to other students from the same school, it shows that the person worked or just raped everyone else out of the water. Esp coming from a big UC, i think it definitely means something to get A+s because truly, only about 5 out of 500 ppl get it, while 100 ppl can get regular As.
I agree, I came from UCLA and the strange thing was that they (UCLA) would count A- as 3.7 and B+ as 3.3, but won't count A+, just put 4.0 there. It seemed not nice to people who worked harder. So there was no reason to get all that a+ at the end.

About the Ads