1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

does the geographic location of your school impact where you get residency?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Jill, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Jill

Jill Junior Member

I am currently choosing between UMDNJ-SOM and CCOM, and I am wondering if I attend CCOM, will that have any negative impact on obtaining an east coast residency, either MD or DO.

I really liked Chicago and would like to experience it for a few years, buy I am from the NYC area and would like to return after medical school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

I am a non-midwesterner in a midwest MD school applying to radiology residencies all over the country. From what I can tell, being in a certain area doesn't mean you can't get a spot elsewhere, but it makes it harder. The main reason for this is that residency programs in a certain part of the country are not as familiar with your school as with those in their immediate area. I applied on both coasts and in the midwest and got interviews in each location. However, it seems the programs that offered me interviews in the Midwest are better programs than those on the coasts. I think its more because they know the quality of education at my school from prior residents, interactions, etc.

That being said, if you have a strong tie to an area, it helps in securing an interview. I haven't gone through the match yet so I can't say if it helps in actually getting a spot. Hope that helps.

4. Voxel

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Also, think about travel time and expense during residency interviews. If you go to UMDNJ-SOM you will be able to drive with 6 hours to a lot more programs in the northeast and not have to pay for airfare. Your scheduling times will be more flexible. These are also things to think about.