does the JAN mcat count for fall2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burrito

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i take the mcat in january will it count to matriculate in the fall of 07? is august the late test if i want to get into school by 07?

Members don't see this ad.

burrito said:
if i take the mcat in january will it count to matriculate in the fall of 07? is august the late test if i want to get into school by 07?

It will be too late for most if not all MD schools. I saw somewhere on these boards that some DO schools may accept the Jan score. I'm not sure about that though. Keep in mind that Jan scores wont be reported till late Feb at the earliest and by then most schools are done with admissions for that year.

is there a test between august and january? im just very busy with not much time to study for the august test but would like to be able to enter med school in fall07. im not opposed to DO either as u mentioned it might be possible for jan for those schools

There won't be an exam between August and January. If at all possible, aim for August though. The general consensus on this forum is that delaying until August is pushing your luck for most allo schools. Getting your first score in February will likely be a huge liability for Fall 07 enrollment. Good luck though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess its time then to hardcore hit the books and take my studies to work with me as well.

Dr Durden said:
There won't be an exam between August and January. If at all possible, aim for August though. The general consensus on this forum is that delaying until August is pushing your luck for most allo schools. Getting your first score in February will likely be a huge liability for Fall 07 enrollment. Good luck though.

What about this scenario. I have taken MCAT once (April 05) and got 27. With that score, I would love to go ahead and apply and then re-take MCAT in January.

I am gonna call several schools individually to see if they will consider my January MCAT when they make the final decision.

Any thoughts on that?

S.

If you already have a score, you should go ahead and apply. Waiting to get your first score until February means your file won't be complete until the date around when interview season is over. An improved score though at that point would be good ammunition for the "update letters" that are popular amongst us applicants late in the cycle when we haven't been getting much love as far as admissions goes. The trick is having your initial score--the one that will be on your AMCAS this fall--be good enough to get you an interview and past early rejection.

I really don't know though how individual schools will treat the situation as it's certainly the first time both us applicants and adcoms have had to deal with it. Definitely call the schols in which you are interested. Good luck!