1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Kaplan diag. test compare well with the PCAT?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by Pharmwannab, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I just took the diag test in the 2006-2007 book and got like 90% or better on every single section. So is this a good indication that I might do well on the PCAT? It seemed awfully easy. The only thing that was really tricky was doing all the questions in the time frame they give you, which I did for all but quant, but just barely - wasn't able to answer the last 2 questions in quant. Also there was hardly any calculus. Only one diff eq. I believe and one question regarding integrals, both very simplistic. If the diag is any indication, it seems like the PCAT measures your ability to think on your feet more than your ability to reason things out, very unlike the MCAT. I guess that kind of makes sense since pharmacists will probably have to think quickly when dealing with a lot of people at once. Any thoughts? Not like I'm gonna stop studying, I wanna make sure I'm extremely prepared. I'm a bit neurotic like that :p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. voskoboy

voskoboy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I thought the Kaplan book was quite difficult compared to all the other test preps. I usually get the highest grade in all my classes as well. When I took the actual PCAT, it was easier than the KAPLAN materials. They do this to gaurantee a higher score when you take their class, so that people do worse on the Kaplan because of the difficulty.

4. starsweet

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The Calculus presented in the Kaplan 2006-2007 is NOT indicative of the kind of stuff on the actual test. The actual test had much more advanced type questions (things you would learn late in Calc I/II, like related rates, etc.) I would recommend looking at your Calc book or reviewing Cliffs Notes for this instead of the Kaplan book.

5. snailman

snailman Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    there was much more o-chem on the actual test than on the kaplan practice. there were questions about naming compounds and stuff like when you combine x and y what is the product or where does x substitute into this molecule? i didn't remember much of this stuff however (took ochem years ago) so i guessed a lot on those, but i still got a 98 on the chem. so maybe lots of the hardcore ochem stuff is experimental and nonscored, or maybe i'm just a lucky guesser.

and what other people said about calc also is true. more advanced questions on the pcat. the timeframe is pretty consistent from kaplan to pcat. if you can't finish the kaplan diagnositc, you probably won't finish the actual test. keep drilling though, and you'll get faster.

bio, verbal, and reading are pretty much the same on kaplan as on the actual test. the reading section on teh pcat seemed really long, like it took forever, and really took a lot out of me, made me tired. so get used to slogging through lots of reading passages so it doesn't wear you down on the actual test.

6. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well, I used the 2005 version of Kaplan, but I did not think that it tracked really well with the actual PCAT in either the chemistry or the math. Kaplan did offer an on-line addendum in calculus for the 2005 version, which I did several times. Still, I in no way felt prepared for the actual calculus on the test, and the only thing I can figure is that a lot of the questions were experimental because I really thought I bombed the math and I ended up with a 72. The chemistry in kaplan is more computational than in the actual test, and I agree with the other poster - much more organic on the actual test than in kaplan. Fortunately, I had done a lot of studying with an organic textbook. But, I do think Kaplan helps you with the issue of timing, especially for the math. It's really important to have an idea of whether you will having timing issues on any of the sections, and if so, which ones. You definitely don't want to leave anything blank on the actual test. You might also try to get a used version of the 2005 - maybe it will give you some more practice questions? I haven't seen the 2006 version.

7. voskoboy

voskoboy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yes that is correct about chemistry, the 2005 PCATs have introduced a lot more organic than before, about 25 out of the 60 questions were organic. I had no trouble with the Calculus part, or at least I thought, haven't received scores yet. Alot of students do have trouble with time and that is where Kaplan helps alot.

8. MAXHARDC

MAXHARDC Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    They added that many organic questions? Did you know that before you took the exam? Time is a killer, hence to "standardize you."

Max