Does the MCAT contain biochem II and III material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I believe biochem I at my school covers biomolecules, while biochem II goes into metabolism, while biochem 3 goes into the central dogma. Is only the first semester necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

For biochem, if I remember correctly, they expect you to know the structure of key molecules like cofactors, amino acids, maybe some sugars. Then you also need to know a basic understanding of the main metabolic pathways like glycolysis/gluconeogenesis and fatty acid breakdown (particularly regulation). There are probably other things but that is mostly what I studied.

So it sounds like at least Biochem I and II for you. At my school all of it was covered in Biochem I though.

No, you need to know 1, 2, and 3 according to your post. Know the structures of biomolecules (lipids, carbs, nucleic acids etc.). know the function of metabolism (glycolysis, TCA, oxidative phosp. etc) and know the structure of central dogma...dna structure (AT, CG)..rna (AU CG) structure..protein structure (primary, secondary, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, at my school that course is called "Genomics" so I didn't consider that. Yeah all three are covered on the MCAT, but biochem is such a small percentage of the test. If you have to go out of your way to take those classes, know that self-study is pretty manageable for biochem.

My school had an "intro biochem" class, as well as a sequence of courses for biochem majors. The intro course was sufficient for the MCAT. Unless you're free to take extra classes, you may be better off learning just what you need than taking 3 full semesters.

My school had an "intro biochem" class, as well as a sequence of courses for biochem majors. The intro course was sufficient for the MCAT. Unless you're free to take extra classes, you may be better off learning just what you need than taking 3 full semesters.

Actually, I'm in a similar situation. I'm just trying to figure out which way would be better for my GPA, I'm trying to boost it a little. I'm looking at the specific professors for the class, and also the people in the classes.....trying to gauge whether I will lose to the curve. It seems like the people in the "intro biochem" class are the same people that have been in my bio classes in previous years, and I keep getting B's in those classes. So I'm thinking I might try taking the biochem major versions, or maybe just one or two of them.

Actually, I'm in a similar situation. I'm just trying to figure out which way would be better for my GPA, I'm trying to boost it a little. I'm looking at the specific professors for the class, and also the people in the classes.....trying to gauge whether I will lose to the curve. It seems like the people in the "intro biochem" class are the same people that have been in my bio classes in previous years, and I keep getting B's in those classes. So I'm thinking I might try taking the biochem major versions, or maybe just one or two of them.

If your school is anything like mine, chemistry classes will not be easier A's than bio classes.

Reactions: 1 user