Does the med school I want exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazyazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ideal med school would be....

- Warmer climate: I realize that sunny weather really changes my mood for the better, so I think that I prefer it. I live in Tucson, AZ right now and I LOVE the weather...only thing is I'm not too fond of the med school.

- Affordable: lower tuition rates if possible

- Based more in clinical education as opposed to research (I'm really interested in applying Spanish medical translation somehow, is there a program that integrates this somehow? I know Stanford has "majors" in med school but I don't know if they apply to this..)

- Have reasonable OOS acceptance rates.

I know it would be hard to find a school that covers most of these...cause like private universities have good OSS acceptance rates, but have jacked up tuition rates. I also thought that a lot of California schools are appealing in terms of weather, but not really in terms of OOS and tuition. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advanced!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let a thing like climate keep you from attending medical school. Ruling that out leaves with MANY schools to choose from. But remember they choose you.

Gonna be a homer--Baylor sounds like a pretty good match. Accepts 30% OOS as opposed to 10% OOS at the other Texas schools, though obviously those are all great schools too if you can get in as an OOS applicant. If you buy a condo, you become a citizen after a year and become eligible for IS tuition which is under $10k, and even OOS tuition isn't bad by most private school standards. You'll definitely have every opportunity to learn Spanish in Houston, and we have an extra 6 months of clinical education thanks to the condensed preclinical curriculum (18 months vs. the usual 2 years) :)

Loma Linda? I believe they focus more on clinical stuff, it is sunny there, and I believe they take a good amount of OOS applicants. I could be wrong though. It's happened before. Also UMiami would be great. That's in my top 3 but I am a FL resident, and we are favored even though it's private. Still, they take an OK amount of OOS, but you will need better stats than IS for sure.

Baylor sounds like a pretty good match...we have an extra 6 months of clinical education thanks to the condensed preclinical curriculum (18 months vs. the usual 2 years)
Is that right? I thought the extra time was supposed to be devoted to research, but it's crazy awesome if you can do clinicals during it.

Why are you not fond of U of A? It pretty much is exactly what you are looking for.
I'm curious about that, as well.

Don't let a thing like climate keep you from attending medical school. Ruling that out leaves with MANY schools to choose from. But remember they choose you.

lame advice :p

I grew up in the south east, went to undergrad in north east and I know that I don't enjoy life as much when I'm in a cold place.

So I pretty much applied only to schools in the South, except for Case Western, but I turned down their interview after I noticed the error of my ways.

Life is too short to always say "Its only 4 years".

If you do that for medicine your liable to start saying "its only 4 years" in high-school and then continue saying that all the way until your 30's.

Not to be a homer or anything, but that describes UAMS pretty well. Many of the Texas schools would also work.

Yup, UAMS has what OP is looking for, except maybe the large Spanish speak pop. unless things have changed since I've been there. But UAMS is sweet:thumbup:

Caribbean... lots of sunshine :thumbup:

Yup, UAMS has what OP is looking for, except maybe the large Spanish speak pop. unless things have changed since I've been there. But UAMS is sweet:thumbup:
I'd say at least a third of the patients in the community clinics and on the L&D ward are Hispanic, but that's about it. It really is just varying shades of red down here.

Is that right? I thought the extra time was supposed to be devoted to research, but it's crazy awesome if you can do clinicals during it.
Nah; Duke is the one that compels you to do a year of research.

A lot of students will wind up using some of that time for research, but you can really do whatever you want with it (research if that's your thing, more Step 1 study time, time off to go get married/travel in 4th year... and of course, more clinical electives if that's what you want :) )

I'd say at least a third of the patients in the community clinics and on the L&D ward are Hispanic, but that's about it. It really is just varying shades of red down here.

Cant say im to surpised with the amount of farming out there and the need for cheap labor. I should actually edit my previous post as I sit here and think. South west Little Rock had a high concentration of hispanics. But NLR and WLR were white/black.

Why are you not fond of U of A? It pretty much is exactly what you are looking for.

Well only thing about UofA is that I go to UofA undergrad and now I want to go elsewhere. I feel like I will know already a lot of ppl in my class since I'm friends with a lot of pre-meds older and the same age as I am. The curriculum is more didactic I think, and I was hoping to get more of a curriculum like Duke's or Baylor's.

Although, there are still high chances I will end up just wanting to go in-state in UofA, it's the more practical thing to do.

Gonna be a homer--Baylor sounds like a pretty good match. Accepts 30% OOS as opposed to 10% OOS at the other Texas schools, though obviously those are all great schools too if you can get in as an OOS applicant. If you buy a condo, you become a citizen after a year and become eligible for IS tuition which is under $10k, and even OOS tuition isn't bad by most private school standards. You'll definitely have every opportunity to learn Spanish in Houston, and we have an extra 6 months of clinical education thanks to the condensed preclinical curriculum (18 months vs. the usual 2 years) :)

Thanks for the heads up on Baylor's way of doing things! I just checked it out, sounds pretty great to me! I also wanted to go to a "better" school than UofA, if possible, rank-wise. I know "med school is med school," but ya that's another thread all on its own.

Oh and isn't IS and OOS tuition the same since it's private? I'm glad it covers the low tuition, pretty good school, curriculum and spanish. I'm guessing it also has great weather?

Oh and isn't IS and OOS tuition the same since it's private? I'm glad it covers the low tuition, pretty good school, curriculum and spanish. I'm guessing it also has great weather?
It's a private school, but we accept some state funding, so we are required to take 70% of our class from in-state applicants; still, 30% is better than you'll find at any other private school.

I like the weather, but I like it hot :p I will say the humidity in the summer months is pretty oppressive, but the winters are very mild (we made it into the 70s today), and that's how I like it :)