Does the medical school that one attends have any effect on chances for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasiley Zaitsev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Does the medical school that one attends have any effect on whether or not they get a competitive residency? Example: Could one get into a top-notch neurosurgery or other specialty residency from a school like University of South Alabama?

Thanks in advance,

owcc16

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask USA for their past match rates...

:)

You can get in from UF...heehee! I'll see ya in a couple weeks while I'm on preceptorship! :D

Originally posted by Cobragirl:
•You should ask USA for their past match rates...

:)

You can get in from UF...heehee! I'll see ya in a couple weeks while I'm on preceptorship! :D

true,

but as you know, getting into UF from UWF is the equiv. of a snowball lasting in hell. Mark V. got a 37 and 4.0 and got WAITLISTED! @ UF. Eva still has no UF inter, but 1 @ Tul, and 1 @ USA.

So, what's the deal? I've also heard from UF prof's I've worked for that UF doesn't like UWF students.

Arch

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw Cobra,

I was asking about med schools in general and residency. Does the med school name matter, or what?

owcc16

Yeah, I know! They come over and recruit the h@ll out of UWF and then crap all over everyone when it counts. I didn't even get an interview, let alone waitlisted...shows ya what they know. I think we can both agree I got the better end of the deal... :D

Anyway, to "seriously" answer your question...yes, med school reputation DOES matter. Someplace like UF, that has had the same Dean of Students for the last 45+ years, will have a LOT more connections than a small, less well-known, lesser ranked school. It's just like med-school admissions (Harvard vs. UWF...what do you think?). It's not that UF profs don't "like" UWF...they've just never HEARD of UWF!! I'm trying my best to change that, but the fact is that it's a small school, close to FSU and they are probably never going to take more than 1 or 2 people any given year, if that. I could be wrong, but...

I'm really not surprised to hear about USA and Mark, but I have to admit that I'm pretty shocked that UF hasn't picked up Eva yet. I'll go talk to Robyn tomorrow and see if I can get the scoop! Personally, I think both of them will have multiple acceptances by the time it's all over! Remember, I didn't get my first acceptance until early March, and didn't get my last one until mid-May! It'll happen! :D

Originally posted by Cobragirl:
•Yeah, I know! They come over and recruit the h@ll out of UWF and then crap all over everyone when it counts. I didn't even get an interview, let alone waitlisted...shows ya what they know. I think we can both agree I got the better end of the deal... :D

Anyway, to "seriously" answer your question...yes, med school reputation DOES matter. Someplace like UF, that has had the same Dean of Students for the last 45+ years, will have a LOT more connections than a small, less well-known, lesser ranked school. It's just like med-school admissions (Harvard vs. UWF...what do you think?). It's not that UF profs don't "like" UWF...they've just never HEARD of UWF!! I'm trying my best to change that, but the fact is that it's a small school, close to FSU and they are probably never going to take more than 1 or 2 people any given year, if that. I could be wrong, but...

I'm really not surprised to hear about USA and Mark, but I have to admit that I'm pretty shocked that UF hasn't picked up Eva yet. I'll go talk to Robyn tomorrow and see if I can get the scoop! Personally, I think both of them will have multiple acceptances by the time it's all over! Remember, I didn't get my first acceptance until early March, and didn't get my last one until mid-May! It'll happen! :D

ya...I think that Mark def. took Tulane, so no matter about the acceptances anywhere else, but I think that eva really wants UF.

Arch

Your damn right the med school matters for matching at competitive residency programs. Sad truth, but true. Just compare the unmatched rates for neurosurg, derm, rad onc, etc. And even if a "non-competitive" school has some matches, look at how much less competitve the specific program and how hard the applicant had to work to get there - mastering the boards, AOA, etc.

I agree. The school name matters at least as much as your grades and boards.

Coming from a smaller MD school, I can easily tell you that an average student at Yale or Harvard would beat out an average student from here with ease (for a residency spot).

With that said, it is not impossible to match at a top notch program if you are from a smaller or less prestigious school, provided that you have great board scores, grades, and maybe AOA. We have people at the Mayo Clinic, Mass General, etc. Just not a lot of them.

Originally posted by Toadkiller Dog:
•I agree. The school name matters at least as much as your grades and boards.

Coming from a smaller MD school, I can easily tell you that an average student at Yale or Harvard would beat out an average student from here with ease (for a residency spot).

With that said, it is not impossible to match at a top notch program if you are from a smaller or less prestigious school, provided that you have great board scores, grades, and maybe AOA. We have people at the Mayo Clinic, Mass General, etc. Just not a lot of them.•

Ok....so, let's look at this..

The name of the med school really helps with the residency process...

however, without a big name undergrad, getting into a big name med school is nearly impossible..I know many people with 4.0/35+ who can't get anywhere but a top regional school @ best..and these people have great files!

So, does this mean that the undergrad institution which one attends has a drastic effect on the quality of residency programs that one attends? :eek:

Let's say I do in fact go to Uni of South AL..which I dearly love, and would like to attend..

If I am AOA, with good board scores and research, do I have a snowball's chance in afghanistan of getting a top neurosurgery residency? Or even one at all that is decent?

Ya'll might say..oh..he's too young to be thinking about his specialty...but it's a question I must find an answer to!

thanks in advance,

owcc16

As far as the undergrad issue - you are generally correct. HOWEVER, you've gotta realize that med school admissions is a bit of a crapshoot. I've been interviewing applicants at my med school for a couple years, and I've gotta say, the folders all start to look the same after a while (there is variation of course). Making the interview means your undergrad institution, grades, MCAT don't matter as much anymore. So my guess is that you're 4.0/35+ friends probably didn't interview as well. To make admissions less of a crapshoot - have a good time with the interview. Laugh, interact, smile, and don't just answer questions.

I'm saying all of this, because it's not impossible to get into an amazing medical program from an unknown undergrad - trust me. You will find that people with multiple acceptances were rejected at MUCH less competitive programs - my hunch is that they had an "off" interview day.

I believe the same holds true for residency. These interviewers have interest your abilities (grades, boards, etc), but way above that, they want to hire someone who they will work well with - the ones that accept you into a program have to look at your face everyday. If you're not fun, personable, and hard-working it doesn't matter what med school you went to (in my opinion, of course).

The same goes for your clinical rotations in med school. Honors goes to those who are likeable and hard-working, and there seems to be much less association with your knowledge base. If you click with your team, the Honors will be there.

Of course with med school apps, residency apps, and clinical rotation you've gotta meet an academic standard. BUT you can make it to the most competitive programs if you meet that standard AND be more likable and hard-working than the applicant from Penn/Hopkins/Harvard.

Afganistan does have it's cold days. :)

Work hard, play fair, and have fun.

To answer your question, owcc:

If you are AOA (especially "junior AOA"), and have great boards and have meaningful research (especially published), AND (this is important) you interview well and have good refernece letters, you will get into a top residency, no matter what school you are from (as long as its in the US).

Let me repeat that another way: I come from a "third tier" state US MD school like USA. Our AOA grads go on to top-flight residencies every year. Derm, ortho, whatever, at top hospitals. But the rest of our middle-of-the pack folks generally don't, whereas the middle-of-the pack folks at Wash U or Yale can still go Optho or EM if they want. Ours generally can't.

Does that all make sense? I hope I got my point across.

Even though I am just a lowly MS1er, I would have to agree that name does matter. As Lt. Ub pointed out it is a sad truth, but a truth none-the-less. Know that a 'lower-tier' school does not mean you have a worse education than someone from a higher tier school. Medical school is hard everywhere and the material is the same in everyones classroom. What it DOES means is that you don't have the advantages provided by connectivity. I realistically know that the residency director reveiwing my future application will probably not be a Morehouse alumnus , why should he/she choose me over someone who is a fellow ivy league-er? I keep this thought in the back of my mind as study for my exams and search for research to do this summer. If you go to a 'lesser ranked school' I advise you to keep the same thought in mind. Let your actions: GPA, AOA, extra-curricular activities speak louder than your institutions name and pray the person will have the fairness to give you the chance you deserve.