Does the minor make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReachingTruth

My Future Rests on Hope
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story: I applied for the 2007 cycle. I have been placed on the waitlist at one school, interviewing at another soon, and holding out hope for two more interviews. I listed a chemistry minor on my AMCAS.

Here's the problem: For various reasons, I don't want to take Analytical Chemistry in my final semester - which means no Chem minor.

Question to you: If I do get in, does the minor matter to medical school because it is listed on my AMCAS? If I don't get in, will it make a difference when I reapply? Will it matter to SMP Programs when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even think MAJOR matters much (if at all). The only thing about your classes that matters is your GPA and BCPM GPA. Minor will make no difference whatsoever.

whats BCPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
BCPM= Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics

AMCAS calculates a gpa for BCPM courses (using only those course classifications) and an Overall GPA.

GPA + MCAT

everything else is just gravy as long as you have all the pre-requisites

Here's the problem: For various reasons, I don't want to take Analytical Chemistry in my final semester - which means no Chem minor.

Hmmm... I'd like to hear your reasons (although I'm sure that I am being way too personal here). I took Analytical Chemistry the spring semester of my sophomore year (Spring 06) and I was dreading it. It was my first upper-level chemistry class, and I was terrified. However, I rather enjoyed it, as it was mostly math-based acid/base chemistry as well as electrochemistry and some instrumental analysis. All in all, it was a pretty interesting class and one that I'm glad I took - I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested as long as it's a decent professor. On a side note, since I switched my concentration in my Forensic Science Degree from Chemistry to Biology, I no longer need the course and it now counts as an elective. That sucks, especially because I put a lot of effort into the course and only made out with a B+, but I guess that's okay.

In regards to your question, I don't think that this would make any bit of difference. Your AMCAS application was a representation of what you had done and your current plans for the (near) future, and I'm sure medical schools understand that things happen, plans change, and people are allowed to do something different than they originally planned. As long as you graduate on time and don't totally bomb your last semester, then I don't see any reason for this to be an issue. Good luck with your decision, and don't sweat the small stuff!

Hmmm... I'd like to hear your reasons (although I'm sure that I am being way too personal here).

The following reasons may not be the greatest, but they are truthful.

1. As you said, it is a dreadful class with plenty of stress. Some might bring up the point that "Medical school and medicine is way more stressful." I agree with that but even then, we all do our best to avoid stress. This class is something I won't enjoy and if it will add unnecessary stress to my life, I'd like to take it out.

2. I've taken 17-22 credit hours every semester of college while working a couple jobs and I was hoping to have one semester that was a bit more relaxed.

The following reasons may not be the greatest, but they are truthful.

1. As you said, it is a dreadful class with plenty of stress. Some might bring up the point that "Medical school and medicine is way more stressful." I agree with that but even then, we all do our best to avoid stress. This class is something I won't enjoy and if it will add unnecessary stress to my life, I'd like to take it out.

2. I've taken 17-22 credit hours every semester of college while working a couple jobs and I was hoping to have one semester that was a bit more relaxed.

Those are good, valid reasons. I think that the course sometimes gets more of a bad rap than it deserves - it can be fun at times, but I agree, it can also be stressful. As for your second reason, I can totally understand where you're coming from. I've planned out the rest of my entire undergraduate education, and my fall is going to be hell (Biochem, Ecology, Forensic Law, Biotechniques, and Literature :eek: ) so I have purposefully planned a fun and (hopefully) not too stressful final semester.

If I were in your position, I probably wouldn't take the class either. Besides, with an MD behind your name, no one will care what your undergraduate major was, much less your undergraduate MINOR. ;)

OP, the answer is no :)

Thanks to your support and my own inclination to not take this class, I will likely drop the course soon. I will call up a few of the medical schools I still have a chance at and ask if they care as well.

Would it be bad if I took Biochemistry pass/fail in this class' place? It will have no effect on my degree but I would like to get ready for medical school.

(I hope this doesn't come off as hypocritical with my previous post about stress. Stress levels are greatly reduced when classes become pass/fail)

yes that's bad. don't take science classes pass or not pass.

I'd say if you were to ever get a minor to do it in something non-science. Chemistry is probably the most useless minor for a pre-med, because it usually means you are just taking one extra class other than the required classes if you are taking biochem also.

Non-science classes in the humanities are often requirements for certain schools such as U of M since you need a certain number of humanities credits. These classes are not only a good thing to have, but they broaden your horizons and often make you think unlike many of the biology classes we take with professors that go straight from the book.

I dropped the class this morning. Looking to pick up a psychology or creative writing class.

Thank you to those of you who replied. I appreciate it. :)

I'm no expert but I talked to my aunt who was once on the USC adcom (sure, insert your jokes here) but she mentioned that a minor would be useful (or a double major) because it gets you a little more application love (she said it much more formally). She said that though it is a small factor, a minor in an unrelated field (such as anthro, music, econ, etc) shows diverse interests, which seems to be one of the many ways to get into medical school (ie being in a ton of groups). you could also be really good at what you do (high gpa, mcat, etc) but having other classes and doing well in them (and having a minor to show for it) can help you in the "x" factor category...

of course this is just my aunt, and she could be nuts