Aug 6, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi! I plan on applying in 2021 and it never really crossed my mind that med schools might care about the number of credits I've taken.

Fall 2017 - 15 credits (GPA: 3.8)
Spring 2018 - 16 credits (GPA: 3.644)
Fall 2018 - 13 credits (GPA: 3.485)
  • Fall 2018 was a really bad semester for me, I thought I was going to be able to take orgo lab (3 credits if you are a chem major, versus the 1 credit for non-chem), orgo lecture, physics, physics lab, and intro bio. I ended up withdrawing from physics which freaks me out as well.
Spring 2019 - 16 credits (GPA 3.606)
Fall 2019 - 15 credits (GPA: 3.740)
Spring 2020 - 13 credits (GPA: 3.910)
Fall 2020 (now) - 13 credits (GPA: N/A)

The GPAs above are for each semester - not cumulative. My cumulative GPA is 3.69 and my sGPA is 3.6. I am URM (American Indian - tribal member with family who have been leaders within the tribe, I have a membership card, as well as official number).

I'm a little bit worried because I currently have 2 semesters with 13 credits and it could be 3 if I choose to not take another class this semester. Normally I would be doing research for credit but we aren't allowed back in the research lab so I don't think I can :( The reason I'm hesitant to take another class, unless it is research, is because I'm studying for the MCAT. I've studied all summer but decided to push it back so I can get the best score possible (plan on taking it in Jan). I've already gone through the review books and have taken three practice exams, but my score just wasn't where I wanted it to be.

Anyways - sorry thats a lot of info! Basically - just worried about low credit semesters!
Thank you all in advance :)

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Southeast
Status
  1. Medical Student
Schools care very little about your credit hour load. They want to see that your GPA is good. Take the course load that is beneficial to your success in school and your understanding of the material at hand.

What schools don't like to see is an applicant taking 9 credit hours in hard science classes, not having a good GPA when doing so, and not doing anything with all the extra time.

Aug 6, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Schools care very little about your credit hour load. They want to see that your GPA is good. Take the course load that is beneficial to your success in school and your understanding of the material at hand.

What schools don't like to see is an applicant taking 9 credit hours in hard science classes, not having a good GPA when doing so, and not doing anything with all the extra time.
Do you think that I will be okay then? I had the one bad semester, but have an upward trend.

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Southeast
Status
  1. Medical Student
Do you think that I will be okay then? I had the one bad semester, but have an upward trend.
You have a good GPA. They're not going to care about your credit load - so long as you have a good MCAT to go with it long with some solid ECs. Take a breath and relax, your credit load isn't going to keep you out of medical school

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads