1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Does the reccomender's reputation really carry much weight? or if they really know u?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. H, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Mr. H

7+ Year Member

hey people, I happened to get to know a memeber of the admission's committee here in college , its actually a crazy story you may have read,I got in an accident and he was my doc. Anyhow, he pretty much know's a lot about me and offered to help me prepare my amcas essay. My question is, would a rec. letter from him/her carry a lot of weight? I feel like if I impress him enough, that the letter he writes will be just as good as someone who maybe has known me longer. But man, its amazing what good things come out of bad circumstances, to think i woulda never met this guy without getting in a almost life-ending accident. I'm at my junior year, and I just need to get my rec's together now, so any comments woudl be great!
    peace people

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

a member of the COLLEGE admissions committee?
    or the med school admissions committee?

4. Mr. H

7+ Year Member

med school

5. med student

med student Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it all depends on what he writes. So I would ask when he is looking at your essay if he would "feel comfortable writing you a strong letter of rec" this gives him the oppurtunity to be honest with you about what he thinks. It can be bad to have a letter where he says he doesn't know you well. Chances are he would no say this directly but it can be implied but what he doesn't write. I am sure that if he is on the ADCOM then he is used to the whole process and will be able to tell you if he can write a good letter. The important thing is don't ask if he will write you a letter but instead if he feels he can write you a strong letter.

6. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're the person on the moped, right? Wow, talk about silver linings! I'd say keep in close contact with this doctor, since they offered to help you, and build a relationship with him/her over the next couple months. Bounce your PS off him/her a couple times too!

Will the letter carry much weight? well, that depends on how good the letter is. But as you say, this doctor has already offered to help, so I'd see that as one heck of a good sign. GOOD LUCK, and I hope you're recovering nicely!

7. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It might be good if you can ask the doctor if you can shadow or observe him. I think it will be good if he can comment on his observations of you in the clinical setting instead of just what he knows of you as a patient.

8. TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually got a letter of rec from a dean of a medical school. This dean used to be on the admissions committee at another medical school, to which I applied. Having received interviews at other comparable schools, I expected that with the addition of a favorable letter from someone who used to be at this particular instution and on their ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE, I would surely receive an interview. But I never did (which is fine because I now realize that I wouldn't actually choose to go there over other schools I got into)!

Anyway, to make a long story short...I guess it doesn't matter if your letter-writer may have pull at a school you're applying to. Or perhaps they didn't like this person for leaving?