Does the specialty in which you vlnteer matter if you change your mind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueDoc1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year premed student and i was wondering if volunteering in say Optholmology department would interfere with getting into medical school if i change my mind and want to become say Primary Care Physician. Wouldn't the question "Why did you volunteer in Optholmology if you want to be Physician" appear on the Interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered in Art Therapy at a Rehab center, Pathology and Surgery at a local med center and ER at a different med center. Then I volunteered as a researcher and a shadow for a neurosurgeon. These varieties allow me to exam each specialty on my own time and allow me to exam myself in a clinical setting. Nobody ever mentioned my extracurrics to me during interviews (for some strange reason). I think medical volunteer experience shows adcoms that you are serious about medicine and know a little something about medicine. Nobody really expects you to have a decision on your career goals until your 3rd year of med school.

These activities were done over a 8 year period.

------------------

No, it doesn't matter. Nobody expects you to know what you want to subspecialize in(if at all) before you are admitted. Exposure and experience in a clinical setting are what count when you volunteer. Likewise with research. Just because you have undergrad research in neuroscience, e.g., doesn't mean you have to pick a specialty that deals with that once you get in.