Does the timing and subject of your research matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year here. I know there are tons of threads about how much research is necessary for a good match, but I couldn't find a thread about exactly what type of research (and the timing of that research) would qualify in boosting an application.

Simply put, I don't really enjoy research. Whether it's bench or clinical, it's not something that excites me nor is it something I ever want to do again in the future. I've had 7 years combined experience in both PRIOR to medical school but no research experience DURING medical school. I've been published 5 times as a clinical research coordinator (not first author), but the research was in a medical specialty I'm NOT interested in pursuing.

My question is whether or not I'll need to do MORE research (>_<), and whether it needs to be in a SPECIFIC FIELD in order to be successful in applying to that field. I'm not trying to go for a big academic or research heavy program. Nor do I want to match into the "super competitive" specialties (but they're all looking super competitive right now as a second year studying for boards (=_=). I'm thinking more like Neuro, Psych, PM&R, IM. I also would really hate to take a year out just for research (bc it is not something I enjoy), but I'm not sure when I'd be able to do more specialty related research in the future as I will be starting 3rd year rotations in June.

Any advice or things you have heard down the grapevine from upperclassmen or attendings and residents? I've asked a lot of my MD counterparts but most go to schools that have huge research hospitals attached that have more in-house faculty doing research. Thanks in advance :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty much interested in half the fields you are talking about. It is going to depend on what you are talking about. If you are saying really, really good program, then it push you up and better your chances. If you are saying, you are okay with any university level program then I highly doubt it.

Usually I am pro research regardless, but in your case, you are already published, have experience, and you seem to really dislike it. Of the fields you mentioned, none of them require research, and you are not interested in a huge academic center. There is probably nothing research will add for you except a great letter/mentor in the field you wish to pursue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty much interested in half the fields you are talking about. It is going to depend on what you are talking about. If you are saying really, really good program, then it push you up and better your chances. If you are saying, you are okay with any university level program then I highly doubt it.

Thanks for your thoughts! I am not at all gunning for any large, academically oriented or research heavy residency. Of course I want to be somewhere where I am well trained, but I want to be a clinician 100% of my future time (no interest in academics or research) :)

Usually I am pro research regardless, but in your case, you are already published, have experience, and you seem to really dislike it. Of the fields you mentioned, none of them require research, and you are not interested in a huge academic center. There is probably nothing research will add for you except a great letter/mentor in the field you wish to pursue.

This is excellent news to hear, thank you! I need to hit up some upperclassmen on how to get good letters from faculty during rotations, but it's nice to hear that I don't necessarily have to push for more research in my current fields of interest :)

Not necessary, especially if you already have publications. That sad, in medical school is better than not, and in the specialty you're interested in is better than not, but it's not a dealbreaker for any specialty you're considering. If you end up applying to something competitive they may ask why your research isn't in their field, but they don't look at other field's research negatively.

I don't have any research from my time in medical school but have several publications from previous lives as a graduate student and a coordinator. I did get asked for info about them at a couple of interviews, so A) while it may not "count" as much as in-med-school research, it definitely was worth something and B) don't forget what you put on your ERAS! I got interview questions about publications dating back to 2007 and a summer job I had in 2008, and had to dig deep to remember the details.

Not necessary, especially if you already have publications. That sad, in medical school is better than not, and in the specialty you're interested in is better than not, but it's not a dealbreaker for any specialty you're considering. If you end up applying to something competitive they may ask why your research isn't in their field, but they don't look at other field's research negatively.

I don't have any research from my time in medical school but have several publications from previous lives as a graduate student and a coordinator. I did get asked for info about them at a couple of interviews, so A) while it may not "count" as much as in-med-school research, it definitely was worth something and B) don't forget what you put on your ERAS! I got interview questions about publications dating back to 2007 and a summer job I had in 2008, and had to dig deep to remember the details.

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I definitely agree with you that more is probably better, but I'm so uninterested in it that I hope it doesn't cripple me ultimately. I think that if I find a rotation I especially like (and is reasonable to attain as a residency with my stats), I will probably try to find at least something small to do some kind of research in. I just really don't enjoy it very much, but it's great to hear that research before med school still counts for something! :)

Excellent point about the ERAS! I will definitely keep that in mind, don't want to get tripped up with those kinds of questions xD

In neuro it is actually seen favorably to have research, but it is not a requirement. You might want to just write up a few case reports or something instead so you can pretend on interviews that it does interest you.

In neuro it is actually seen favorably to have research, but it is not a requirement. You might want to just write up a few case reports or something instead so you can pretend on interviews that it does interest you.

Thanks for the advice! It's going to depend on where my board scores fall, but I would probably try to do something like that if I ended up being competitive in those specialties!

I'm also interested in neuro, psych, IM, and maybe critical care/pulm. Unlike OP, my only research experience was cleaning glassware and setting up agar plates in undergrad. No pubs. I've had a real tough time finding clinical research opportunities with actual publishing potential. There's a whole bunch of bench work available, but that's not something I'm super interested in since they're longer and may not publish. Also, since it's already April and still haven't found anything, I'm guessing it's too late to secure a research spot this summer. With the recent match woes in the other threads, am I essentially screwed unless I take a research year?

I'm also interested in neuro, psych, IM, and maybe critical care/pulm. Unlike OP, my only research experience was cleaning glassware and setting up agar plates in undergrad. No pubs. I've had a real tough time finding clinical research opportunities with actual publishing potential. There's a whole bunch of bench work available, but that's not something I'm super interested in since they're longer and may not publish. Also, since it's already April and still haven't found anything, I'm guessing it's too late to secure a research spot this summer. With the recent match woes in the other threads, am I essentially screwed unless I take a research year?

Plenty of DOs match into all those specialties without having any research.

Reactions: 1 user