Does the TPR Science Workbook actually help anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious for some feedback.

i've taken a couple of AAMC tests now, and i think their passages differ markedly from TPR's. for instance; it seems to me that AAMC Bio passages are harder, because most of the bio passages in the TPR workbook have like, 6 friggin' paragraphs of info, and if you're quick enough, you can basically infer 90% of the answers by going back to the passage to look for clues. the AAMC passages just seemed like two short paragraphs and a couple of charts--you kinda just have to 'freestyle' the answers on your own.

also, the gen. chem/physics passages seem to be way harder in the workbook than by the AAMC--not by structure, just content.

it just seems like the workbook isn't a very focused way to use my (limited) time, and perhaps i should just stick to studying the topics instead of completing all those wretched assignments.

does anyone else feel this way? am i not approaching the TPR workbook passages the right way to get the most out of them? tell me what to do, dammit!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by superdevil
just curious for some feedback.

i've taken a couple of AAMC tests now, and i think their passages differ markedly from TPR's. for instance; it seems to me that AAMC Bio passages are harder, because most of the bio passages in the TPR workbook have like, 6 friggin' paragraphs of info, and if you're quick enough, you can basically infer 90% of the answers by going back to the passage to look for clues. the AAMC passages just seemed like two short paragraphs and a couple of charts--you kinda just have to 'freestyle' the answers on your own.

also, the gen. chem/physics passages seem to be way harder in the workbook than by the AAMC--not by structure, just content.

it just seems like the workbook isn't a very focused way to use my (limited) time, and perhaps i should just stick to studying the topics instead of completing all those wretched assignments.

does anyone else feel this way? am i not approaching the TPR workbook passages the right way to get the most out of them? tell me what to do, dammit!

I agree with you. The Bio and ochem section in the workbook is not tough, but the chem and phys section, like you said, are tough. I think a lot of those passages just kicked my butt and it is sometimes heavy on calculations, which mcat is not i think. I think that the workbook serves the purpose of just reinforcing concepts. There is no way I am going to finish all those passages I can tell you that. To get the most out of the book, I think whatever concepts/topics you feel weak on, then do the corresponding passages for more practice. That is what I am doing.

I agree, for the most part the passages are killer. Although there are some simple passages; They are the ones that catch you off guard and boost your self-confidence. But they are few and far between. But, I guess that's their strat. make you work at the hard passages, so the real ones are easy.

Originally posted by solid snake
I agree with you. The Bio and ochem section in the workbook is not tough, but the chem and phys section, like you said, are tough. I think a lot of those passages just kicked my butt and it is sometimes heavy on calculations, which mcat is not i think. I think that the workbook serves the purpose of just reinforcing concepts. There is no way I am going to finish all those passages I can tell you that. To get the most out of the book, I think whatever concepts/topics you feel weak on, then do the corresponding passages for more practice. That is what I am doing.

The workbook is pretty much just another way of learning the material, like you said...they bear little resemblance to real mcats, so I wouldn't be concerned about missing a few per passage cuz that's how you learn best.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa, i just realized that my thread got some responses. cool!

anyway, i've toned-down the amount of passages i do now. i'm choosing to spend more time studying my weakpoints than letting TPR manipulate me into thinking my weakpoints are...everything.

if anyone else wants to share, let's hear it!

I'm taking TPR too, i've pretty much given up on going to class and study by myself. I've done almost all the work passages so far that we had to do, but will tone it down and cocentrate more on review and practice with AAMC materials.