SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does the undergrad college make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jugador75, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Jugador75

Jugador75 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    New York
    Hi. My name is David. I am a sophomore at UPenn. I was just wondering if med schools take into account the undergrad school that you are coming from. Does a 3.8 from UPenn look much different from a 3.8 at, say, a less well-known school? I am not suggesting that people at good schools can or should slack off and rely on the name of their school to get them into med school, but I just wanted to know if certain competitive environments are taken into consideration when looking at one's application. Thanks very much.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 3, 2001
    planet Earth
    undergrad school definitely does play a role in qualifying the GPA of an applicant. This is true at most of the schools of which I know. How much of a difference is another story. 3.8 is a very respectable GPA so just worry about taking fun classes and doing interesting activities. UPenn isn't going to close any doors for you.

good luck.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    But Mr. Bean,

Didn't you just tell me earlier that Upenn was a hellhole and that you would never go there if your life depended on it because they give out A's like candy and all the med schools know that so you don't have a chance of getting in?

(I know Mr. Bean...so please don't get mad :eek: :p )

5. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2001
    To save time here, I'll give you the answers that most SDNers will reply with:

1. Yes, it matters
    2. You go to UPenn, why are you worried? I would kill to go to UPenn.
    3. No, it doesn't matter
    4. No, it doesn't matter. I know a person from (enter less well known school) who got into (very well known med school).

I think that covers 'em. Did I forget any?

6. Jugador75

Jugador75 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    New York
    Scooby Doo,

Is this some attempt at humor with your friend Mr. Bean, or is it a serious reply?

7. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City

8. brandonite

brandonite Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Manitoba, Canada

9. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2001
    NY
    Here is my vote:
    I choose #1

1. Yes, it matters(1)
    2. You go to UPenn, why are you worried? I would kill to go to UPenn.
    3. No, it doesn't matter
    4. No, it doesn't matter. I know a person from (enter less well known school) who got into (very well known med school).

10. katiep

katiep Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2001
    I'm going to add:

5. Maybe, it matters. It's all a crapshoot anyway.

And, in keeping with SDN tradition, I will let somebody else append my #5 to the rest of the list.

11. actually the correct answer is #6

6. Yes, you increase your chances than the average Joe, however someone with a 4.0 from a lesser well known college and tons more activity, awards and humanitarian work could theoretically kick your A$$ and take your seat :D

12. Tweetie_bird

Tweetie_bird 7+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Forgot about Lucky Number 7:
    The exception to all rules--
    If you are from Fresno City College (did I even get the name right?) you might as well rethink your entire career.