Does the undergrad college make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jugador75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. My name is David. I am a sophomore at UPenn. I was just wondering if med schools take into account the undergrad school that you are coming from. Does a 3.8 from UPenn look much different from a 3.8 at, say, a less well-known school? I am not suggesting that people at good schools can or should slack off and rely on the name of their school to get them into med school, but I just wanted to know if certain competitive environments are taken into consideration when looking at one's application. Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

undergrad school definitely does play a role in qualifying the GPA of an applicant. This is true at most of the schools of which I know. How much of a difference is another story. 3.8 is a very respectable GPA so just worry about taking fun classes and doing interesting activities. UPenn isn't going to close any doors for you.

good luck.

But Mr. Bean,

Didn't you just tell me earlier that Upenn was a hellhole and that you would never go there if your life depended on it because they give out A's like candy and all the med schools know that so you don't have a chance of getting in?

(I know Mr. Bean...so please don't get mad :eek: :p )

Members don't see this ad :)
To save time here, I'll give you the answers that most SDNers will reply with:

1. Yes, it matters
2. You go to UPenn, why are you worried? I would kill to go to UPenn.
3. No, it doesn't matter
4. No, it doesn't matter. I know a person from (enter less well known school) who got into (very well known med school).

I think that covers 'em. Did I forget any?

Scooby Doo,

Is this some attempt at humor with your friend Mr. Bean, or is it a serious reply?

Originally posted by Scooby Doo:

(I know Mr. Bean...so please don't get mad :eek: :p )•••

As you can see from what I said here...it was a joke :)

Upenn is a top school...so don't worry...

Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
•To save time here, I'll give you the answers that most SDNers will reply with:

1. Yes, it matters
3. No, it doesn't matter
4. No, it doesn't matter. I know a person from (enter less well known school) who got into (very well known med school).

I think that covers 'em. Did I forget any?•••

Maybe, in keeping with SDN's love of lists, we should start a vote... :D

Here is my vote:
I choose #1

1. Yes, it matters(1)
3. No, it doesn't matter

I'm going to add:

5. Maybe, it matters. It's all a crapshoot anyway.

And, in keeping with SDN tradition, I will let somebody else append my #5 to the rest of the list.

actually the correct answer is #6

6. Yes, you increase your chances than the average Joe, however someone with a 4.0 from a lesser well known college and tons more activity, awards and humanitarian work could theoretically kick your A$$ and take your seat :D

Forgot about Lucky Number 7:
The exception to all rules--
If you are from Fresno City College (did I even get the name right?) you might as well rethink your entire career.