Does their ranking matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueintheface

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed in my 2 interviews so far that programs seem very interested in trying to figure out where we will rank them on our rank lists. Why is that? The NRMP tell us that our best strategy is to rank programs in our preferential order, without consideration of where the programs will list us. So my question is: Does NRMP tell residency programs the same thing? If so, then they shouldn't care where we rank them. I guess the only logical assumption is that there is an advantage for the programs to list less desired applicants higher if those applicants also list the program higher. But if there's one thing I've learned in my four years of medical education its that (my) logic rarely applies. Any game theory experts out there who can shed light on this matter? I've also noticed that the NRMP description of the algorithm is conspicuously vague in stating that a true preference order list is the "best" strategy, but they fall short of saying it is the "only" strategy. Oy vey, and I thought Bayes Theorem was hard! I know it probably won't make much a difference and I will probably just submit my list without proving to myself that I have chosen the best strategy, but it does bother me when programs try to tease out my rank lists when I have only barely begun interviewing.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. They just want to be able to say they matched thier top picks. They just like to load the deck so they can say that. Just make sure you rank the places you want to go the most first. Not where you think you have the best chance to get into. Because if you can get in with it ranked first you can get in with it ranked 5th.