Does this classify as Strong Ties to a state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegerer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in New York but every summer I've essentially spent most my time in New Jersey with uncles and cousins. I know this alone does not classify as strong ties but my father has been working in New Jersey for the past 20 years and therefore pays state taxes there, He also resides in the area 2-3 times a week with his family Now does this classify as strong ties to the state? I'm 20 years old for reference. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having strong ties means showing the admissions committee that you are likely to stay in the area to practice medicine eventually. Although having family in an area helps, I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "strong" tie.

Reactions: 1 user
It may depend on the individual school so make sure to look at each school's mission statement/admissions requirements. For my state school, the strong ties to a state included:
  • Having long-time heritage in the state (i.e. multiple generations of your family that lived in the state)
  • Having immediate family that lived in the state (although I think that kinda goes with the one above)
  • Getting a degree, high school or college, in the state (with at least two years of attendance at the institution you graduated from)
If you are applying OOS to a state school, having high numbers can help with getting an interview too for some schools. Private schools tend to accept a more varied number of OOS and IS though I don't know what the normal class of NJ private institutions tends to be since I no longer have access to MSAR.

Also, love your profile pic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough call. There are only three NJ MD schools, so it might be worth a shot. All three say that that accept OOSers, and a look at MSAR tells us:

Rowan: ~4700 OOS apps/ 141 OOS IIs/ 28 OOS matriculants (class of 88; figure ~80-90 OOS accepts)
Rutgers NJMS (or as it's properly pronounced: "Rutguhs"): 2500 OOS apps/ 146 OOS IIs/ 21 OOS matriculants (class of 178; figure ~50-60 OOS accepts)
Rutgers RWJ: ~2200 OOS apps/150 OOS IIs/ 34 OOS accepts (class of 160; figure ~75 OOS accepts)

So, some OOSers are getting in.

Double check their admissions websites.

Having strong ties means showing the admissions committee that you are likely to stay in the area to practice medicine eventually. Although having family in an area helps, I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "strong" tie.

Can anyone comment on if an applicant's desire to practice in a state without having any real ties to the state has any impact at all? For example, I applied to the South Carolina medical schools and have no real ties to the state at all, but very much want to live and practice in South Carolina.

PS: I am aware that it was probably just a waste of money to apply to these schools as OOS with no real ties and average stats, but in the grand scheme of things it's worth a try to me