Does this count as a science letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done 9 months of research with my PI who is an MD/PhD, and though I did not take a biology, chem, or physics course with her, I still got academic credit through the research (it is shown on my transcript with a grade of "Pass" for each quarter - there was no letter grading for this research). Would a LOR from her count as one of the two recommended science LORs?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done 9 months of research with my PI who is an MD/PhD, and though I did not take a biology, chem, or physics course with her, I still got academic credit through the research (it is shown on my transcript with a grade of "Pass" for each quarter - there was no letter grading for this research). Would a LOR from her count as one of the two recommended science LORs?
At some schools this will work, at others it won't

At some schools this will work, at others it won't

+1. It will depend on the school -- some (in my experience, most) explicitly state that a valid "science letter" is one written by an instructor who issued you a grade in a lecture-type course. However, there are exceptions, and some schools may be more apt to make special allowances than others. I would highly recommend calling admissions offices directly, or at the very least, carefully reading the Admissions FAQ page on each school's web site.

Members don't see this ad :)
It didn't for many schools, in my experience.

Use it as a supplemental letter.

Lord I hope so.

The doc I work for is on staff as an associate part time professor for the school I'm apping at. I too am taking a "internship class" (bio 409 at my uni) under her. Her letter is going to be hyooge for me.

Also, for LORs from science professors, how well should you know your professor before asking for a LOR? It's so friggin hard to get to know them super well because of 10+ other premeds in office hours everytime. If my prof knows my face, knows that I regularly attended office hours, and I did well in the class, is that sufficient enough? I have other very strong LORs, if that helps

Reactions: 1 user
Also, for LORs from science professors, how well should you know your professor before asking for a LOR? It's so friggin hard to get to know them super well because of 10+ other premeds in office hours everytime. If my prof knows my face, knows that I regularly attended office hours, and I did well in the class, is that sufficient enough? I have other very strong LORs, if that helps

That should be enough. You don't need very strong LORs from your science professors (of course, a faculty that you worked/researched with that ALSO taught you a science class is ideal). Make sure they indicate how hard the class was, your grade/class rank, and your motivation for medicine (please actually tell them your motivation for medicine, cause they will probably forget you next week).

The supplemental letters exist because some people who know you well did not teach you a class.