Does this count as an IA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sapientnarwhal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need to mention this incident on AMCAS application or potentially follow up with administration for more information?

My freshman year I broke the glass on a fire extinguisher by accident in the dorms. I didn't receive a write up but I did have to report to the dean and either pay a fine or do some form of community service.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever receive anything in writing about this issue? Was there a notation about needing to make sure not to get any "other" infractions?

Was this classified as vandalism?

I do not know if this is applicable in your case, but the vast majority of fire extinguisher "accidents" are caused by intoxicated students, and since fire extinguishers are mandatory safety equipment in university-owned property and potentially life-saving, schools traditionally do not have much patience or mercy when students damage them.

If you truly accidentally damaged a piece of furniture in a common room, I doubt you would have had to see a dean or do community service and it would not be an IA. But I suspect your punishment was more severe bc your infraction involved the ever-popular drunk-student magnet of the fire extinguisher. Again, I have no idea if you were indeed intoxicated when the item was damaged. But the consequences of having to see a dean and do community service does seem like an IA. (My first thought was this is NOT an IA, but once I gave it a little more thought, I am about 55%-45% that it really was an IA)

AAMC will tell you that you should check with your university. Read the instructions for completion of the AMCAS application and follow the instructions.

Reactions: 1 users