Does this count as clinical experience/shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickpeagoals

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a senior in High School, I was participating in an Internship though the school that allowed me to shadow a variety of doctors (radiologists, ICU physician, veterinarians, a NP, dentist, NICU, Physical Therapist),etc..) and also gave me a chance interact with the patients.

What I am mainly worried about though, is that I was in High School when I experienced all of this. Does it matter that it happened such a long time ago? Would I still be able to put an experience like this on an application?

I'm a new poster here, so I'm sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong place

Members don't see this ad.

High school stuff doesn't usually count unless you continue the activity in college. Your internship sounds interesting but it sounds more like exposure to multiple careers in the health care field. How far into college are you? Do you have any current shadowing? When are you applying?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The internship was only from 2014-2015 (about 3 hours a week). I'm currently a second semester sophomore in college and I plan on applying in the 2018 cycle. In the next fall semester I was planning on shadowing a physician though Parkland Hospital for about a month or so.

You can, perhaps, work this into your personal statement as one of your earliest experiences that inspired you to take college coursework needed to apply to medical school.

Get some additional exposure to medicine and clinical settings in the next 18 months. Volunteering in an emergency department, or helping in a free clinic or playing with kids in a children's ward are three pretty typical ways of gaining clinical experience.

Being an interpreter in a clinical setting, being a scribe or an EMT are ways some people are employed in medical settings.

Hospice and nursing homes are also relatively common volunteer activities that put you in contact with they dying and disabled.

Reactions: 1 user