Does this count as non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynaic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a fairly large public university and am part of a special scholarship program. It is not counted as a student club but I am Vice-president of the association at my school that goes with the scholarship.

As Vice President I have
  • Traveled across the state to recruit students accepted to the program and the school in general
  • Built a website
  • Organize professional development events
  • Organize networking events
  • Organized and run a statewide conference
  • Started a special lecture series given by faculty
  • Started a professor-student mentoring program
Most of these things I was the sole person in charge and contributed a very significant portion of the time/effort to make it happen.

I am glad to have this for my future application because I think this has been a huge growing experience and leadership opportunity for me but does this count as volunteering? At first I was thinking it about it more as a club but my premed advisor said it is not a traditional club experience at all and thinks that it might be non-clinical volunteering. I am unpaid and have made lasting (hopefully my programs continue for years) impacts to a non-profit educational institution.

In addition to this, I do have more traditional volunteering experiences although I plan to spend more time with helping underserved populations before I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not call it volunteering. You really aren’t doing anything beyond helping people network. It may be on a voluntary basis, but I would call it “Leadership not mentioned elsewhere”

Reactions: 1 users
I would not call it volunteering. You really aren’t doing anything beyond helping people network. It may be on a voluntary basis, but I would call it “Leadership not mentioned elsewhere”
Okay, that's what I figured. The advisor just emphasized that in some ways I'm contributing to the education of others via the lectures and connections. Thanks for the input.