Does this count as ties to New York state for SUNY schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still 2 years out from applying, but I want to start saving for app fees. When I immigrated to the US, the state I moved to was NY, and I graduated HS from there. I was only in the state for about 2 years though, then left to CA for college. Does this count as "state ties," and would SUNY schools be worth applying to? Or would they be donations?

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of the SUNY schools are fairly OOS friendly either way and I think it would be fine for 'state ties'. Generally time spent in a state for college doesnt count so if you had established NY residency in high school, I think you should still have it.

From what I remember, you qualify if you graduated from a NY high school and apply to the SUNY med school within 5 years of your graduation. I graduated from HS in NY, went to college in Indiana, lived in VA for a year, and would have still been eligible for in state tuition from NY.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe if you graduated from an NY HS you get instate tuition

Unfortunately this is not the case unless you matriculate within 5 years of graduating. I graduated HS in NY and looked into this when applying.