Does this happen alot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

innerpower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first visit ever to this section of the forum. :D

Anyway, I just had my third molar (#1) taken out and in the process, my sinus was also punctured. My dentist told me that I had my sinus positioned lower than normal people, and the root tip was attached to it. Hence when he pulled the tooth out, the tip damaged the sinus a little.

That day, I could totally feel air going in and out of mouth to the nose through that area. It was blocked naturally the next day though.

Does this happen alot?

And one more thing, my dentist told me to don't even think about doing any kind of physical activities for the next 4 to 5 weeks. I played all sorts of sports, and this was like a dead sentence to me.

What sure I do?

Thanks for all your replies in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no basketball in June with fellow COMP'ers? :( j/k. Anyway, wow.. getting teeth pulled when you're in your +20's sort of sucks if it's not pulling out wisdom teeth. Hope you're feeling better dude..

innerpower

perforating the maxillary sinus is sometimes a consequence of extracting maxillary teeth. the maxillary bone is very very thin in comparison to the mandible.

i am not too sure as to what the therapy would be to a puntured max sinus, as i have not taken an indepth oms course yet.

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by melancholy:
•I guess no basketball in June with fellow COMP'ers? :( j/k. Anyway, wow.. getting teeth pulled when you're in your +20's sort of sucks if it's not pulling out wisdom teeth. Hope you're feeling better dude..•

Thanks for your concern, melancholy.

:)

FYI, 3rd molar teeth are wisdom teeth. ;)

Oh ok.. it's your wisdom teeth that were taken out. In that case, awhh.. you will need some recovery time anyway. I liked taunting my friends who had come home for the summer for wisdom teeth extractions with nice, big, juicy steaks. :)

I don't recall my dentist ever mentioning any possible sinus puncture problems.. just possibly getting infections and all sorts of nasty things that you should definitely avoid.. heh heh.

animal666

Thanks for your reply.

melancholy

Very funny, melancholy! :D I still have two more to go. I am having all my dental works done before we start school this Aug. ;)