Does this happen to anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoppe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've gotten accepted into pharmacy school. Everything goes as plan except for one thing... I keep having this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should've gone to pre-med. The interview was surreal. The pharmacy weekend was bland and boring. I couldn't picture myself being a pharmacist. I really couldn't at all. But then the thought of "starting over" scares me. Actually, I only need to take the MCAT and gain some clinical experiment. As I sat on the river boat "trying" to mingle with my future pharmacy classmates, I feel out of place..more like I shouldn't be here. At some points, I thought of delaying a year to study for MCAT and see if I can get into med school by next year. If not, then I can go to pharmacy in 2008 instead. I think I posted something like this before and tried to squish this nagging feeling. There are lots of complications with this decision. For once, my parents would kill me if I decide to take a year off. People think I'm crazy but this feeling really bothers me but I don't have the courage to back off and follow my heart. My parents keep saying doctors do not have a life and you can't be a good mother if you're so busy all the time. I don't know. Has it been done before? Can you have both? A good career and a good family? BTW, I would like to go into pediactrics but it's been known to have a hectic life which you're always being on call.

For some reasons, I dread starting pharmacy school. I was helping my friend studying for the PCAT few months ago and met this guy. He told me he quitted Vet school after a year and his wife quitted pharmacy school after two years. Now they make good money as a computer engineers and are very happy with their decisions. My friend who is a dental student plans to quit dental school to start a business with his friend. He has been working with his friend during dental school. Now that the business goes really well, he could careless about dental school anymore because he doesn't have the passion in it in the first place. I don't know if it's a sign but I would hate to waste my life not doing something I love.

Does anyone have second thought? At what point in your life do you decide to give it up and take a risk?

Members don't see this ad.

I entered medical school after 10 years in another occupation. That's starting over. Take an honest look at which occupation you'll be happier in and go in that direction now.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry about your parents "killing" you. this is your life... yes you owe a lot to your parents, but you have to remember that it's hard to make others happy if you're not happy yourself. Also, there are many doctor moms out there. I think there are a fair share floating around these forums as well... you might want to talk to one of them and ask them about their experiences. In any case, pediatrics (from what I've seen and heard) does not seem to be more intense than any of the other fields. That's not to say it's easy--it's just pretty much on par with what you would expect from a physician's job. So don't let that discourage you. Don't be afraid of taking a year off--think of it as a one year investment that will impact the rest of your life. That seems like a smart deal to me :thumbup:

good luck

*cough* *puke* grammar.

In all seriousness, I think the only thing you appear to be certain of is that you do not want to be a pharmacist. From a distance, medicine has this exotic allure to you, which is great, but you need to explore that further. You need to take a year off and find out what is right for you, whether it is medicine or anything else, because that feeling of not wanting to be a pharmacist now will only fester and make you bitter if you continue on that path.

You need to take a year off and find out what is right for you, whether it is medicine or anything else, because that feeling of not wanting to be a pharmacist now will only fester and make you bitter if you continue on that path.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Actually, I thought about this a lot. After going through with all the pre-req for pharmacy, I didn't dare to think about med because I was afraid of this year commitment. I put off a year already before applying to pharmacy. Last year, I told my parents I wanted to graduate instead of going to pharmacy school; Thus, delaying me one year. Now, I think my parents would think I'm crazy if I told them I would take a year off again. I thought a lot about med about two years ago but didn't dare to think much or do much because
1) I would like to have a family someday and want to be there for my kids. Of course, I can do both but do you honestly think I have time to "raise" them? Kids need more than the feeding and clothing. They want a lot of time from you such as attending to their soccer practice or just being there listening to their problems, you know. I want to be a good parent, and not just a parent.
2) Do I really want to waste a year? What if I don't get in next year? What if this is just an illusion? Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side.
3) Am I in it for fame or money?

Anyway, that was last year. That was what held me back and nudged me to go ahead and applied to pharmacy. Now, I think I have the answer. I really don't mind the time or the commitment. But, hum.. I dont' think I have the gut to quit now.

For those who quit their so called "good career" and go back to med, when do you know it's a calling instead of an illusion?