Does this happen to you a lot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwalke34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I was a biology major, so I spent my fair share of time in the Library. Don't worry about what everyone else is saying just keep studying. It will be worth it when you are a Dentist.

I can't stand when they're always saying, "You're going to the library again?"

Just wait until you are all working and you get to say, "You're going into work today? But it's Friday!"

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is a business major as well, and she NEVER studies, she makes me feel like i'm the one with no life. Oh well, when I have an awesome work schedule and she has to run around endlessly it will be so worth it. Just keep thinking of the long run, think of who's going to be laughing last

That's really funny that you posted this because I am a Finance and Economics major who is taking the pre-requisites fro Dental school, for the same reasons as you are. All of my roommates and pretty much most of my friends are business majors and they do always question why I am going to the library so often. Most business classes I have taken I can cram for in a a night or two and get an A. Science courses on the other hand, especially Organic Chemistry, I have to keep up with constantly. I don't constantly study and I do have a life, the main difference between me and them is that I don't go out during the week and I usually never watch TV during the week. Haha I remember one of my roommates took introduction to accounting before I did and he was always complaining about how hard iot is. The next semester I took it with the same teacher and thought it was a joke. I think taking these sciences helps with teaching good study habits.

I don't know, I just don't think a lot of people understand that for sciences it takes more than just a cram the night before the test. Also a big difference in ours and their curriculum is that in the business world the difference in a 3.1 and a 3.6 might not be a big difference, however in applying to dental school it is a huge difference. A lot of my business major friends are able to be like I don't care all I want is a B or a C, they don't have to strive for an A in every class, which is tough to do.

I am junior and this semester is my first semester in the actual school of business. I am completing my second semester of Organic with the lab this semester and I still have to take physics and then the additional two science courses UT Memphis added to the required courses for students applying after the 2008 cycle, which is me. Yea everyone asks me the same thing too. My dad is a doctor in Florida and has his own private practice and he too wishes he would have had a business background when he was starting his own practice. Another perk about a business background is that it is a great fall back if you do not get in to Dental School.

How far along are you with school?

I can relate to everyone...I was in a sorority and out of the 90+ girls I was living with, the majority were communication or poli sci majors or something along those lines. There were probably only a handful of us who were doing anything with science so no one really understood why we didn't go out as much or spent hours at the library or why labs were 3 hours long. They would always tease me for studying so much and not going out b/c I had to study for a test that was one week away when they said they only need a day before a test to study. Yea, no one can relate unless they have taken science classes themselves.

Who do you suggest taking for Physics? I'm taking the Kaplan course this summer and then I am going to take the DAT at the end of the summer.

All my roomates are business majors and so am I (Econ). At the same time, I am taking all the pre-dental prerequisites and minoring in 2 sciences. I can't stand when they're always saying, "You're going to the library again?" I study maybe 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week which isn't a whole lot. They have no idea how hard the science classes are. Business is downright EASY. The only reason I'm majoring in it is to learn the business aspect for running a private practice. It's one thing to have to study for a business administration test and another for biochem. They have no idea how academically made they have it! Does this happen to anyone else regularly?

You just focus on you and no one else. You're going to come across many people on your path to dentistry... just remember to always stay focus.

Yea same thing here...I'm in a fraternity 100+ and I think there are only 5-6 of us pre-professional...Everyone else is either BA, Finance, or Poli Sci...I hear them complain about a 1 1/2 hour project they have to do once a week and I just laugh...They wouldn't last a week in organic

That's really interesting. I'd say at least 30 out of the 75 guys in my fraternity are pre-health profession students. Of course a lot of younger folks switch out after their first or second year.

This thread is very interesting.
I totally agree.
Especially, my brother is a business major.
Other hand, I've been taking 3-4 science classes every quarter.
I would spend most of the time at the library, and he would spend most of his time at x-box.
However, he laughs at my 3.5 gpa when he has like a 3.8...
Oh well, who cares.
I'll see when I become a dentist..lol

Kind of funny, b/c most business majors in college probably won't own a successful business for a long time, if ever. They will probably be stuck "doing business" for someone else the rest of their life. You on the other have the skills start a business, and the platform. It's almost like buying into a franchise. I wish I had been a business major, and then gone to dent, instead of bio/evironmental sci....what a waste in the grand scheme. You are in a good position, make the most of the business classes, and make sure you take ones that are useful. Keep up the good work!

I have to say that I laughed at almost everyone of your posts. I am in dental school and was also a business major. I am currently getting my MBA while in d-school (yeah, I'm busy). I did very well in my business classes but also took a ton of science classes to get into d-school. I think that many of you are making alot of unjustified comments about undergrads that are business majors. While I completely agree that many undergrads fit the mold that you are painting, I met a ton of focused, ambitious, and successful people in my business school and can also tell you about a ton of science majors that were total slackers and never studied. Its not about the major, its about the person. I can also tell you that taking classes in entrepreneurship, venture management, etc. will help me run a much more efficient, growing, and successful practice than your zoology courses. Regardless, you learn a ton more about how to run a successful practice once you are out working and you see how great and profitable dentists manage their practices.