Does this look fishy to you guys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tavokeri9

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, I would not be giving that much information out. This is supposed to be an anonymous forum;
Also it seems that peoples main beef with him is that he offends them.. Otherwise people think he is a decent professor..
It doesn't look like an easy A though dude..
I'd be careful if you were aiming for an easy A class.

Reactions: 1 user
I have found ratemyprofessors to be a poor predictor of my personal experience in a class. Regardless of if all those comments are fake, just take the class if you're interested in it and work hard. As for your GPA, ask your peers about "easy classes." People who are most academically similar to you should be the best indicators of your success in a class.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah a bit. And what do you expect? Its a site where people can anonymously rate professors.

RMP has done nothing but allowed me to go into class with a preconceived mindset of "I am going to hate this class" or "this class is going to be easy as cake" and it always bites me in the butt.
I have had only a couple (2 max) good experiences on RMP. So yeah, sounds kind of fishy to me... can you ask people who have had that professor before?

Theres usually a lot of reporting bias in profesor rating sites. The only ones really motivated enough to write a review are those who got poor grades, are pissed off and want to get back at the prof.

I'm trying to decide whether I should take a certain professor's religion class and like many students, I headed to "rate my professor" to learn more about it. Plus, my GPA could use some help, so I just like to have an idea of what I'm getting into. Anyway, the first set of comments make the professor sound absolutely amazing before it gets a bit poor later on. However, I noticed that the dates of many comments in the beginning are on the same exact day or very close to each other. Does this mean these all are fake and created by one person? Should I not trust this? Could use some insight!

Here is the link: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=911390
Honestly, take RMP with a grain of salt. Every professor will have negative review(s).

I really enjoyed every religion class I've taken and I highly recommend them.. Just work hard and you will get a good grade.

RMP has been good to me. Not one time was it off base when I took all the comments together as a whole.

For that professor - def take.

Also RMP monitors the comments. LoL my professor tried to alter his scores and it got taken down. That doesnt mean it doesnt happen, anyone can sing up for it. Sometimes it will say "post deleted" or something along those lines.

Also one of my amazing professors published in a journal that RMP is pretty on par with the ratings and comments, and students use it as a steering wheel rather than shopping bag for easy As. But then again....his RMP score was also very high to begin with haha. with good reason of course :whistle:

If I learned one thing in undergrad. - it's to not take peoples opinions about professors seriously. I tend to forget that a lot of people in undergrad. don't study or care about classes like we do.

Theres usually a lot of reporting bias in profesor rating sites. The only ones really motivated enough to write a review are those who got poor grades, are pissed off and want to get back at the prof.
Guilty of this myself... :(
Was not a poor grade (was actually an A...) but that professor was just absolutely horrible...

Just like what happens with Yelp, the only ones who leave reviews are either very pissed or very happy, no middle ground. Plus, angry people are more likely to leave reviews than happy people. So take ratings with a grain of salt

Some teachers ask their students to leave reviews, so he could've asked one day in class and a bunch of students did it around the same time.

Dude, I would not be giving that much information out. This is supposed to be an anonymous forum;
Also it seems that peoples main beef with him is that he offends them.. Otherwise people think he is a decent professor..
It doesn't look like an easy A though dude..
I'd be careful if you were aiming for an easy A class.
Just wondering, are you required to stay anonymous?