Does this make sense to anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silence in ER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going through verbal practice exams from EK, though I feel these questions are kinda .... "weird?"

Anyway, here's the answer to one of my verbal questions
Question: Which of the following does the author suggest was a component of the original "Faust myth" (lines 55-56)?

I. *Reason triumphing over feeling
CORRECT: This is clearly suggested. From the passage we know that in the opera "Faust and Margaret sing very forgettable arias about the supremacy of feeling over reason, a theme which is not really congruent with the Faust myth" (lines 53-56).
II. A more evil Mephisto
WRONG: This is not clearly suggested. The second paragraph, for one, describes the character of
Mephisto in the operatic production, and does give the impression that he has been portrayed/ characterizeddifferently in other versions. However, the author gives no indication that /I a more evil Mephisto""was a component of the original 'Faust myth"'. There is not enough specificity in the passage information for one to draw this conclusion.
III. A more powerful God
WRONG: This is not clearly suggested. This answer seems attractive because of the passage statement,
"Thus, this version presents temptation as essentially a wager, or struggle, between God and the Devil
(which, at one time, was a remarkably blasphemous notion, as it contradicted the dogma that God is allpowerful
over evil)" (lines 25-29). However, it is not at all clear that the phrase "at one time" refers to the
"Faust myth" or about people's attitudes and belief in God in general. This is not the best answer.

q: I thought, " a theme not really congruent with the Faust myth implies that "putting reason over feeling" did not occur in the Faust myth?
Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.