SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Karina, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Karina

Karina Surgeon in training... 10+ Year Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok...I am currently attending a community college. I am part of the honors program here and I'm getting ready to graduate by the end of the spring term of next year. My original plan was to leave my second level of Gen. Chemistry for the summer...and then transfer in the Fall. I talked to my advisor and didn't want to leave anything for the summer...so In the Spring Term I'll be taking: Gen. Chem. 2, Biology 2, Calculus 1, and another class. That's 18 credits total. Somepeople make an ugly face when I tell them that, they don't think I should take those sciences together with the math. Some others just say that it's not a big deal. I dunno...What do you guys think? Some words of encouragement are always appreciated...but I'm also looking for a realistic opinion. Thanx in advance!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2001
    New Jersey
    Karina,

At my undergrad if you are a bio major, you are recommended (more forced ;) ) to take G-Bio, G-Chem, and Calc in freshmen year. I didn't do that bad. For me, I had AP Calc in high school, so I didn't have to study much for Calc. It could be tough especially if you are taking the labs too. Be careful not to load yourself up on science and math courses if you feel that's too much. It is better to take it slow and doing really well. The good thing abt taking all those courses at the same time: You are done and over with and you can move on to courses that really interest you. Good luck!!!

4. Southern Gentleman

Southern Gentleman Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2001
    TX
    I had a similar experience! Second semester of my freshman year I took Gen. Bio 2, Gen. Chem 2, and calculus (with other honors classes) all in one. I thought I was going to drown myself but I stayed focused and managed my time wisely. In the end I did well and still had a life outside of school (partying)!! Don't let people discourage you...It CAN be done!!!