does this make u wanna puke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasvsdal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=15766558

or does it make sense? cuz it makes me wanna puke

i cant even make sense of that....i really wanna know if pre-med is for me! i wish biology was naturally practical to me. its so ironic cuz biology is the study of living beings n i cant relate! :confused: ....

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=15766558

i cant even make sense of that....i really wanna know if pre-med is for me! i wish biology was naturally practical to me. its so ironic cuz biology is the study of living beings n i cant relate! :confused: ....

Get used to it. Your next challenge, the MCAT, is loaded with passages that can be pretty difficult and appear complex. Additionally, you will need to be able to quickly read abstracts and articles like this further on. Thus, get used to it and brush up on your molecular genetics.

Good luck.

yeah, journal articles can be really tough when you are not used to reading them.......but it get's easier! and you don't really read TOO many of them in med school (well at least i don't).

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you can complete the classwork that you are given, you are fine.

That paper is about some sort of genetic susceptibility to SARS in Vietnamese people or something :confused: I think

you'll come around. as an undergrad, my freshman year I could spend an hour reading a journal article and maybe understand 2-3 sentences of it (and certainly not the broad concepts or conclusions).

Now I actually enjoy reading articles, and I can skim and digest the main points of an average one in 5 minutes.

And yeah, the paper is talking about genetic variability in the human genome in various SARS cases relating to two specific loci which are simulated by interferons (cytokines secreted by leukocytes which aim to shut down double stranded RNA replication indicative of viral infection). The findings show that certain polymorphisms (differences in the genetic code of the loci) lead to increased/decreased susceptibility and progression of SARS. Otherwise saying, some people are better at fighting SARS because their alleles at OAS-1 and MxA induce some sort of stronger interferon response.

You'll learn to quickly run through these when you start attending seminars, journal clubs, dinner-provided type of functions in med school. Or if you're working in a lab as well ;)

It's tough man, but you can deduce what it says if you've taken your general bio classes. It's just saying that they think that there's a gene that is promoted by 'type I interferons' that can offset SARS. In-turn, their evidence provides some insight into some genes that have a probability of deterring SARS.

just look out for key words like: allele, polymorphism, protein kinase, -ase (which = enzyme), etc...

In the end though, most people read the hypothesis and the conclusion and unless they're replicating the experiment, will just skip past the methods section.

its like learning a foreign language, start with the basics, immerse yourself in the culture, before you know it it makes sense and you can communicate in this crazy form of heiroglyphics

I'm glad everyone is having fun pretending like they know what the hell that paper was about. I just graduated from med school, and it was all gibberish to me.

Here's the thing about research: In benchtop research, 99% of the papers that get put out are either incomprehensible or completely boring to everyone except a small subgroup of physicians and scientists. Clinical research is a little more accessible, but even then it is difficult to keep abreast of enough recent developments to make every paper worth reading.

To the OP: You can't understand that paper? Great, it doesn't matter. As I was cleaning my apartment last week, I came across my Chemistry honors thesis. I tried to read it; it made no sense to me at all, and I wrote it.

In the end, you learn what you need to know.

its makes enough sense. Our findings suggest that polymorphisms of two IFN-inducible genes OAS-1 and MxA might affect susceptibility to the disease and progression of SARS at each level.

You'll learn to quickly run through these when you start attending seminars, journal clubs, dinner-provided type of functions in med school. Or if you're working in a lab as well ;)

Exactly. The title of the paper didn't make me want to puke, it made me hungry... Pavlovian Conditioning at it's best.

To the OP: You can't understand that paper? Great, it doesn't matter. As I was cleaning my apartment last week, I came across my Chemistry honors thesis. I tried to read it; it made no sense to me at all, and I wrote it.

In the end, you learn what you need to know.
:laugh:
A little while back, I came across a 10 page proof I'd written in my senior year as a mathematics major and thought, "what was I smoking when I wrote this?"

Edit: and of course congrats to you Dr. Tired!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can make some sense of it...but why are you on pubmed presumably searching random articles???

Because I remember how it took me forever to read a Biology book last semester when I was taking like 3 bio classes but reading these accounting books is a swift. I mean theyre so much more practical...everything thats in these accounting books happens around you and that keeps things interesting. I really want to know if pre-med is the track for me before I jump in and spend an extra 2 semesters (super senior yayy), $$$, and social life. But I guess knowing those articles has nothing to do with this hahaha silly me! I just feel that learning Biology would be a lot more fun if I could relate that material to the real world applications, and take out of class more than just cool words like interferons haha

Congratulations Tired, MD!!! :hardy: :thumbup:

I'm glad everyone is having fun pretending like they know what the hell that paper was about. I just graduated from med school, and it was all gibberish to me.

:lol: :thumbup:

Although, you are not helping the ortho "meat-head" sterotype . . .

Just graduated too and sounds like gibberish to me too. A friend once told me in undergrad "if you don't understand it just memorize it, and forget it after the test." I think this works great for undergrad, as far as med school I'll add just memorize it over and over again until you understand it.

The name Long Dong, and the Location: Watching Skin Flix...hahaha

pervert pervert! :D

that paper is more the turf of molecular biology, molecular genetics, immunology, and medical research.

i get it, but it's not practical in my day to day. what am i going to tell my patients or shadowing noobs who are overzealous and bring this up? "well Johnny you better get sign up for some gene therapy to make sure your own IFN wont kill ya in case you contract SARS"

if you dont enjoy the challenge of learning, get the f out of medicine now.

I just love skin, the skin flix I'm looking at happen to be skin biopsies.:D

look up Mohs surgery on pubmed, genius

I just love skin, the skin flix I'm looking at happen to be skin biopsies.:D

just for my own clarification, do you spell it Moh$ or Moh$$$ surgery? good on ya for getting Derm.

Because I remember how it took me forever to read a Biology book last semester when I was taking like 3 bio classes but reading these accounting books is a swift. I mean theyre so much more practical...everything thats in these accounting books happens around you and that keeps things interesting.

Medical school material probably isn't the most difficult material there is, but there is a lot of it. I've heard many times, that the amount of information dispensed is what makes those first two years of medical school challenging. You'll be reading lots of thick books, pouring over notes for the third time, and looking at things in excruciating detail, not all of which is "practical" and highly interesting to you.

I really want to know if pre-med is the track for me before I jump in and spend an extra 2 semesters (super senior yayy), $$$, and social life. But I guess knowing those articles has nothing to do with this hahaha silly me! I just feel that learning Biology would be a lot more fun if I could relate that material to the real world applications, and take out of class more than just cool words like interferons haha

Well, a good way to find out if you are interested in medicine is to actually shadow some physicians and get involved in some patient care. However, understand that there is a strong academic component to learning to become a physician and also in being one. Medicine is evidence-based; you will need to have at least a basic foundation in how to navigate through research.

I read elsewhere that you have a 2.33 science GPA and a 3.0 overall (1). If that's truly the case, then you may be looking at much longer than just an extra 2 semesters... Medical schools demand that you prove your academic prowess, and the kind of GPA that you now have requires some serious and possibly lengthy repair. It is possible, but don't kid yourself about the volume of work that might be necessary. Be prepared to work hard.

Good luck.

academic prowess

ahhh, i remember when i used terms like that. nostaligic. :D

you will never regret the hard work, sleepless nights, memorizing until you feel on the edge of insanity in order to become a physician. imo it truly is the noblest profession.

ahhh, i remember when i used terms like that. nostaligic. :D

:lol: :p Yeah, I definitely know I'm a noob. I've got a long road ahead of me.

you will never regret the hard work, sleepless nights, memorizing until you feel on the edge of insanity in order to become a physician. imo it truly is the noblest profession.

I hope all that ends up being true. :thumbup: :)

yeah pubmed is pretty disgusting.

but just wait till you can search your name on it ;)

Well, a good way to find out if you are interested in medicine is to actually shadow some physicians and get involved in some patient care. However, understand that there is a strong academic component to learning to become a physician and also in being one. Medicine is evidence-based; you will need to have at least a basic foundation in how to navigate through research.

I read elsewhere that you have a 2.33 science GPA and a 3.0 overall (1). If that's truly the case, then you may be looking at much longer than just an extra 2 semesters... Medical schools demand that you prove your academic prowess, and the kind of GPA that you now have requires some serious and possibly lengthy repair. It is possible, but don't kid yourself about the volume of work that might be necessary. Be prepared to work hard.

Good luck.

Thank youu for the input! Well, I am going to be a Senior Year this year so its going to be a total of 4 semesters, where I plan on taking around 30-35 credits of Science/Math related classes (same as the amount of Science credits I have at the moment). As far as shadowing a Physician, do you just pick a Physician and ask him if I could shadow or is it only recognized if you enroll in some program etc.

Its good to know that I dont have to worry about understanding that baby in the first read. I mean yeah if I look at it couple of times, I start picking up on what its saying (like 25-30% haha). I just wish I could relate the material to the real world more, it makes stuff useful! Like thats why I liked my anatomy class but these Biology classes ughhh.